Arizona Docent

bobcat exhibit

July 5, 2013.

bobcat exhibit
Arizona Docent, 11 Jul 2013
    • Arizona Docent
      July 5, 2013.
    • snowleopard
      @AD: what are your thoughts on this place? Review time?:)

Wildlife West Nature Park received a page-long review in the winter 2012 issue of Zoo Grapevine magazine, and the facility did not come off as very impressive. Some key quotes from the review:
      " ramshackle zoo"
      "some tatty cages mix with some huge paddocks"
      "less than inspiring habitats"

The reviewer (Tim Brown) did point out that the establishment is a non-profit facility with enclosures built by the New Mexico Youth Conservation Corps and thus there is some goodness to be seen in a community aiding a local wildlife park. However, the final comment sums up the review: "However poor cages are poor cages, and I suggest 'youth' is needed once more to replace some of the animal accommodation with something better".
    • Arizona Docent
      I would rate it much more highly than that. Look at this bobcat enclosure. Sure it is basic, but built around large live trees and the bobcat is often seen resting at the very top. How many (much more expensive) AZA exhibits have large live trees for their bobcats to rest in? Virtually all of the exhibits use existing live foliage like this. The hoofstock paddocks are massive and far outshine many big name zoos. All contain live trees and shrubs. The two mexican wolf habitats are also large.

Also I cannot believe how friendly all of the animals are (except the wolves). When they see a visitor, they come right up to the fence. (Even one of the mountain lions is this way). I cannot imagine animals that are poorly cared for would be that friendly.

There are no million dollar immersion exhibits, but it is (let us remember) a rescue facility and far outshines the other rescue facilities I have seen. My biggest complaint would not be with the enclosures but with the lack of visitor amenities. Still it is worth a visit and someplace I personally have no problem endorsing.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Wildlife West Nature Park
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    11 Jul 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    99.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    432px
    Height:
    648px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Date / Time:
    2013:07:05 16:31:32
    Exposure Time:
    1/500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    98 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).