Join our zoo community
blospz

Bobcat exhibit

They had more space in their previous exhibit. However, since this has been their exhibit for the past few years, they seem pretty used to it and content.

Bobcat exhibit
blospz, 1 Jun 2022
KevinB, Gil, CarLover and 4 others like this.
    • Andrew_NZP
      The size difference was definitely the first thing I noticed, but like you said they seemed pretty content in there (and the Pallas's Cat seemed to enjoy having staring contests with them).

I do wonder if the zoo plans to use their old exhibit again in the future. I believe they put peafowls in it at some point, but the area has been closed off ever since Covid started I believe and now just looks a little rundown.
    • snowleopard
      For an AZA-accredited zoo to be promoting their new 'Claws and Paws' exhibits (for 4 species), this enclosure is underwhelming. Apparently there are 3 bobcats in that thing...yikes! I know that the trio of cats are all rescue animals, but the exhibit is absolutely puny for bobcats.
    • blospz
      @snowleopard, I was hoping they would update the mesh on the exhibits too. Of course that's for selfish reasons of mine to take photos through it. But I was thinking, okay but it just opened and they didn't think to do it now so it will probably be awhile before they even do that. It's great to see the bobcats again, but I do wish they were the same size exhibit of the binturongs. Funny thing is there are bigger/taller abandoned exhibits behind the area, but not on this specific trail.
      snowleopard likes this.
    • blospz
      @snowleopard, my photo may be a bit deceptive too of how far back the end of the exhibit. The furthest pole in the photo, a little off centered, shows you how far back it, so they have a little dip downhill. However, yes, their former exhibit gave them all more room.
      snowleopard likes this.
    • blospz
      @snowleopard, some good news: the bobcats do have access to more space! I noticed yesterday the have a tunnel on the side of their enclosure which connects to a back exhibit. I'll try to post a photo soon.
      snowleopard likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Smithsonian National Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    blospz
    Date:
    1 Jun 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.8 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4608px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    COOLPIX P900
    Date / Time:
    2022:05:31 08:45:14
    Exposure Time:
    10/3200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    4.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).