Join our zoo community
zooboy28

Bobcat - Franklin Zoo

Franklin Zoo - November 2011 One of the Bobcats, they were very active when I visited.

Bobcat - Franklin Zoo
zooboy28, 20 Jun 2012
    • zooboy28
      Franklin Zoo - November 2011

One of the Bobcats, they were very active when I visited.
    • Chlidonias
      wow, s/he doesn't even look old. I remember the ones at the Mini Zoo in Chch back in the 80s (the ones the Franklin Zoo ones descended from), and they never moved much. Of course, they didn't have much in the way of space to move in, but they did sleep most of the time.
    • Chlidonias
      here's a photo of the original bobcat pair in their little cage at the Mini Zoo: http://www.zoochat.com/99/bobcats-north-brighton-zoo-christchurch-30520/

When the zoo closed down in the 90s, the pair went to Pouakai Zoo. The two at Franklin were bred at Pouakai, went to Hamilton, and then from there to Franklin. Pouakai still has either one or two (the original female and a daughter; I think the older female may have died in the last year or two but I can't recall). I'm guessing the Franklin siblings must be around 10 or 15 years old now? [Just re-read your review, and it says they're nine years old, so I was almost right]
    • ZooGirl101
      They now live at Hamilton Zoo.
    • Chlidonias
      .....and they are now the only bobcats in New Zealand (the last one at Pouakai died a few months ago).
    • Animalgeek
      Oh wow that is so sad!!!

Do you no if there were any other decendents from the original par besides from the daughter who was Living with her mum at Pouakai zoo and how old the animals were when they died thnaks
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Franklin Zoo (Closed)
    Uploaded By:
    zooboy28
    Date:
    20 Jun 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count: