Join our zoo community
sooty mangabey

Bobcat kitten, July 2013

Bobcat kitten, July 2013
sooty mangabey, 12 Jul 2013
German Zoo World, TNT, NigeW and 2 others like this.
    • sooty mangabey
      Young bobcat.
    • Chlidonias
      bobcat kittens (bobkittens?) are really cute!
    • Brum
      Great shot, I second the cuteness factor! :)

Hopefully a UK collection can take an interest in these and maybe import some... (Well I can live in hope!)
    • sooty mangabey
      Thank you!

Of the four German zoos that have bobcats, I was able to visit three within just a few days - Cottbus, Berlin Tierpark and Limbach-Oberfrohna. I don't know whether any of these animals have been (or can be) identified to subspecific level, but, yes, - it would be wonderful (if unlikely) to see some coming into a British zoo. There are many North American carnivores that I would love to see over here, but which I think it is unlikely will ever make the journey across the North Atlantic: coyotes, fishers, cacomistles, black-footed ferrets.....
    • vogelcommando
      Very nice picture of this species !
    • Blackduiker
      Congratulations sooty mangabey, best Bobcat kitten photo ever!
    • IanRRobinson
      I think (and I'm not sure after 35 years) that Kilverstone still had Bobcat when I first visited in 1978. Other than that I can never remember seeing the species in the UK. Ditto Coyote, Fisher and Cacomistle. And I'd expect to see Flat-headed Cat here before Black-footed Ferret!

The slow drift away from North American mammals in UK zoos is sad, but I suppose we don't have space for everything. I just wish that so many potential small carnivore exhibits weren't given over to Meerkats...

And yes, John, lovely shot. What were your overall impressions of Cottbus? :)
    • Tim May
      “Sooty” that’s a superb photograph of a lovely cat.

I agree with the comments made in earlier posts; it would be nice to have more North American carnivores in British collections (although I suspect that is improbable).

(I’m surprised if you don’t remember coyotes in London Zoo though, Ian.)
    • IanRRobinson
      I fear that every now and then the fact that I'm ten years younger does show! :p Somehow I never did get round to being allowed to inventorise the Dog and Fox pens behind the Cattle Sheds. The only canids that I really remember at London, Wolf and Fennec apart, were the Grey and Arctic Foxes kept for a time in the 1980s in the pens behind the Sealion stand.

Why they were never used for a pack of Bush Dogs I don't know!
    • chizlit
      Lovely photo, first time I'd ever seen a bobcat when I went to Cottbus last November, overall a great zoo.
      @ Sooty, did you visit Eberswalde? Fantastic little zoo set in lovely woodland.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Tierpark Cottbus
    Uploaded By:
    sooty mangabey
    Date:
    12 Jul 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count: