Join our zoo community
dt644

Bok-dong and Ko-soon, elderly couple asian elephant

Picture taken on March 10, 2017. Left is male Bok-dong, right is female Ko-soon. Kosoon is the second oldest elephant in South Korea, and Bokdong is the third oldest elephant. The two have lived in very poor cages for more than 40 years, but their relationship is very special.

Bok-dong and Ko-soon, elderly couple asian elephant
dt644, 20 Apr 2020
    • DelacoursLangur
      Oh wow I had never even heard of this facility before, its got to be the worst I have ever seen, its litterally just 3000 square feet of concrete surrounded by a ten foot moat... Glad that at least they have company, but this is unacceptable they have massive well manicured lawns just feet away from this pit. South Korea isnt some 3rd world country, what is this BS?
    • dt644
      @DelacoursLangur
      This poor elephant cage has existed since the opening of Dalseong Park Zoo in 1970. Upon opening, the Daegu City brought in an elephant the Laos government donated to Changgyeongwon Zoo in Seoul, but the elephant quickly died, so then the Daegu City brought in Kosoon in 1972 and Bokdong from Japan in 1975. Since then, they have been staying here. It's a miracle that they've been living in here for almost 50 years, but unfortunately their feet and legs are in very poor health, many Koreans don't know how sensitive elephants are.

Dalseong Park is originally a historical site, that was oldest earthen castle wall in Korea. Therefore, demolition and relocation of zoos has been discussed for more than 20 years, the location to relocate zoos has been confirmed two years ago after a slow process, but I have a big question about whether they can build a good exhibit for elephants. So I think it would be better to send them to the Seoul Zoo.

Dalseong Park Zoo is the oldest existing South Korean zoo and is unable to make any improvements due to the aforementioned problems. So it's no different from the 3rd World Zoos, where the level of zoos in the '70s remains the same.
    • DelacoursLangur
      Drone view of their "exhibit" for anyone interested: Google Earth
    • red river hog
    • dt644
      @DelacoursLangur
      I remembered something because I saw this terrible place after a long time. I was meet elephant keeper at the Seoul Zoo two years ago, he said me Dalseong Park's one elephant was fell into moat. And at that time, Dalseong Park asked Seoul Zoo to help because they didn't know what to do.

Sadly, the relocation of Dalseong Park Zoo has not yet been carried out properly. I'm worried that the two of them will die after being trapped there for 50 years. It's a real shame.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Dalseong Park Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    dt644
    Date:
    20 Apr 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    6.2 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    6000px
    Height:
    4000px
    Aperture:
    f/9.0
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D5300
    Date / Time:
    2017:03:10 13:18:59
    Exposure Time:
    10/3200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    52 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).