Join our zoo community
ro6ca66

Bongo enclosure : Whipsnade : 01 Aug 2014

I've added this shot to the Gallery as there's been recent discussion in the forum regarding the use of this enclosure by the bongos, and its use for quarantining/introduction of the Thomson's gazelles. Hopefully the photo will help people visualise some of the details mentioned in the forum thread. From left to right are the bongo housing and hardstanding, then the wooden fully-enclosed structure at the end of the housing block containing (I assume) the gazelles. To the right of that in the middle distance is a small grass enclosure, created within the bongo paddock a few months ago, and which I understand is going to be used by the gazelles, at least initially. Beyond and to the right of that enclosure is the woodland area favoured by the bongos when they're not in their housing/hardstanding.

Tags:
Bongo enclosure : Whipsnade : 01 Aug 2014
ro6ca66, 2 Aug 2014
    • ro6ca66
      I've added this shot to the Gallery as there's been recent discussion in the forum regarding the use/non-use of this enclosure by the bongos, and its use for quarantining/introduction of the Thomson's gazelles. Hopefully the photo will help people visualise some of the details mentioned in the forum thread.

From left to right are the bongo housing and hardstanding, then the wooden fully-enclosed structure at the end of the housing block containing (I assume) the gazelles. To the right of that in the middle distance is a small grass enclosure, created within the bongo paddock a few months ago, and which I understand is going to be used by the gazelles, at least initially. Beyond and to the right of that enclosure is the woodland area favoured by the bongos when they're not in their housing/hardstanding.
    • Panthera1981
      Good description! As much as I don't want the bongo to leave Whipsnade, this paddock is wasted upon them as they stick closely to the thin strip of woodland and rarely stay out in the open even when they're on the hard standing.

Maybe a path could be constructed along the other side? They're certainly worth a look when they're in the woods!
    • Pertinax
      A good answer to that would be to find them an enclosure that was more, or entirely wooded- even if it was much smaller, as they don't really use a lot of this one.

Bongo and Thomson's Gazelle is a bit of an odd mix if it is indeed going to be permanent. One forest/one savanah species.

I presume this house is currently closed to the public?
    • ro6ca66
      Yes, the whole of this house is currently closed.
    • ajmcwhipsnade
      I would be annoyed if the Bongo ever did leave, one of my favourite species (if not my favourite Antelope species).

I am not fussed about the mix, its a great paddock and if they both have a good quality of life then that's great.

The paddock is for some reason one of my favourite parts if the Zoo, don't know why!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    ro6ca66
    Date:
    2 Aug 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    575.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    761px
    Aperture:
    f/7.1
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III
    Date / Time:
    2014:08:01 16:49:38
    Exposure Time:
    1/60 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    24 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).