Join our zoo community
Gigit

Bornean orangutans, January 2022

Bornean orangutans, January 2022
Gigit, 9 Jan 2022
TNT, KevinB, MagpieGoose and 2 others like this.
    • Gigit
      Wousan and Natalia trying out their new climbing frame.
    • Benosaurus
      Is there enough height or enough for them to swing on here?

I feel like the version in the link below was better (I don't know the reason/s why they've changed the small island again).

Orangutan Island, May 2018 - ZooChat
    • Gigit
      High enough for swinging? Not really. Wousan and Natalia just climbed over it, exploring. Natty looked as though she was enjoying it though and started to strip bark from the poles. Maybe they'll build something more suitable for swinging on the large island. I gather the poles were donated so possibly they decided that this was better than nothing, and it's easily viewable by visitors. I think the old version rotted away - the peril of wood on often waterlogged ground.
      Pertinax and Benosaurus like this.
    • Pertinax
      @Gigit. I was going to ask what happened to the taller poles. And before that there were tall natural-growing Alder trees ? For Orangutans this low-level frame seems the equivalent of a 'safe' climbing frame for very little children in a playground. Sadly each version seems more simplistic/smaller than the last. Cost/labour issues no doubt. But better than nothing I hasten to add...
      Benosaurus likes this.
    • Gigit
      @Pertinax Nakal sealed the fate of the trees on this island when he stripped the bark from them during his tenure. If Natty continues to use it as she did yesterday she will no doubt impress some visitors, but I do hope that one of PZ's exciting new plans is for something on the large island that will really get them up and moving.
      Pertinax likes this.
    • Pertinax
      @Gigit Yes indeed. Really this is just a basic climbing frame you might see in a standard cage somewhere. They do really need to upgrade to decent high climbing facilities again. Could the remains of the trees on the big island still be used as a basis for that?
    • Gigit
      @Pertinax I couldn't say for sure. Tatty used to be able to rock some of them and they don't look very sturdy. There's the problem of water-logged roots too, I imagine.
      Pertinax likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Paignton Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Gigit
    Date:
    9 Jan 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.1 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1642px
    Height:
    1095px
    Aperture:
    f/3.4
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-FZ1000
    Date / Time:
    2022:01:09 14:21:13
    Exposure Time:
    10/1600 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 800
    Focal Length:
    19.84 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).