Ste-W

Bristol Zoo July 1989 - Wendy the Elephant

Very small original concrete enclosure

Bristol Zoo July 1989 - Wendy the Elephant
Ste-W, 16 Jun 2010
    • Ste-W
      Very small original concrete enclosure
    • Ste-W
      This photo is of the original Elephant padock that Wendy used to share with an African elephant & I know that she spent the last few years of her life in the padock where the Giraffes used to be, but does anyone know when Bristol Zoo moved Wendy into her new enclosure? Also I read somewhere that the Zoo used to exercise her with walks around the grounds, did this practice continue upto her death or did it stop once she was fully grown?
    • Pertinax
      Wendy was moved over when the Gorilla Island was constructed, so if you find out when work started on that, it would have been shortly before.

Wendy was definately still walked out in the Zoo as an adult- and after Christina had died, but not sure if she was in her last years. When Wendy and Christina were young they were taken outside the zoo and onto the Downs too.
    • Ste-W
      Thanks for that. Did they walk her after hours or whilst the public was there?

Looks as though (via the net), that Gorilla Island opened in 1998, so Wendy was probably moved to her new enclosure sometime in 1997.
    • Pertinax
      During the day. I have a postcard of her on the main path at the top of the zoo meeting with visitors.
    • dillotest0
      According to archived Bristol Zoo website, Wendy's walks around the zoo ceased circa 2002, close to her death.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Bristol Zoo (Closed)
    Uploaded By:
    Ste-W
    Date:
    16 Jun 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    309.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1081px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).