Join our zoo community
snowleopard

Bronx Zoo - Baboon Ridge

July 2008. Gelada baboons, nubian ibex and rock hyrax.

Bronx Zoo - Baboon Ridge
snowleopard, 6 Aug 2008
    • snowleopard
      July 2008. Gelada baboons, nubian ibex and rock hyrax.
    • mstickmanp
      Wow, this exhibit is amazing!
    • snowleopard
      When I was there last month there was a male and female nubian ibex, at least 5 rock hyrax (that all bunched together in a set of large rocks) and at least 6 gelada baboons all roaming around the multi-acre exhibit. It's one of the best enclosures at the Bronx Zoo, and probably the best habitat for baboons in North America.
    • mstickmanp
      The cool thing is that in the wild, all these animals live in the same habitat.
    • snowleopard
      Another interesting thing is that the gelada baboons are in control, as both ibex were forced to move from a shady den area as soon as one of the male gelada baboons approached. The ibex appeared to be a little skittish around the big males, of which there were at least two.
    • groundskeeper24
      I saw this in 03 and only viewed about half of it. When I went back this summer I saw the rest and realized just how enormous it was. It's one of the most impressive exhibits in terms of sheer size that I've ever seen.
    • snowleopard
      There is a little outdoor eating area and food service facility directly next to the massive exhibit, and my wife and I ate lunch while watching the ibex, hyrax and baboons in their splendid habitat.
    • Zooplantman
      Initially there were two separate trrops of Geladas in the exhibit, occasionally displaying typical territoriality. Quite nice. Sounds like the collection has shrunk!
    • snowleopard
      This nubian ibex/gelada baboon/rock hyrax exhibit is amazing, and so I was wondering if there is a larger and more impressive baboon habitat on the planet than this 5-acre beauty. Can anything top Baboon Reserve?
    • Sun Wukong
      Yes, the Ethiopian Highlands...

Other than that, take a look at Zuerich Zoo latest exhibit; haven't seen it in person yet, but newer Swiss zoo exhibits tend to be at least OK.

Another interesting contender might be Rheine Zoo's exhibit-not that spectacular in appearance, but very successful in breeding geladas.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Bronx Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    6 Aug 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    372 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-TZ5
    Date / Time:
    2008:07:17 12:52:35
    Exposure Time:
    10/8000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    4.7 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).