Join our zoo community
Maguari

Brown Bear Enclosure at Cabarceno, 11/06/15

Utterly enormous - it's impossible to photograph the whole thing in one go! (I will be using that line a lot!) We counted around 40-50 bears including a number of young cubs. At the time this photo was taken the bears had just been fed and were all down at the front - later they were spread out and had to be distantly picked out in the enclosure. All the land you see here is part of the exhibit and accesible to the bears - it represents no more than a third of the enclosure.

Brown Bear Enclosure at Cabarceno, 11/06/15
Maguari, 17 Jun 2015
    • Maguari
      Utterly enormous - it\'s impossible to photograph the whole thing in one go! (I will be using that line a lot!) We counted around 40-50 bears including a number of young cubs. At the time this photo was taken the bears had just been fed and were all down at the front - later they were spread out and had to be distantly picked out in the enclosure. All the land you see here is part of the exhibit and accesible to the bears - it represents no more than a third of the enclosure.
    • snowleopard
      I visited Bear Country U.S.A. in South Dakota in the summer of 2014 and that park has approximately 90 American Black Bears, many of which can be viewed from a few feet away in the drive-thru zone.

http://www.zoochat.com/1514/drive-thru-section-american-black-bears-378948/

Establishments such as Bear Country and Cabarceno have such large numbers of bears that it makes me curious about the animal husbandry methods utilized at those zoos. How on earth is each bear accounted for, given medical treatment or separated from others if there is an issue? I'd be fascinated to know how these zoos manage their vast quantities of bears.
    • Pertinax
      Hell, is that a lot of Bears in one enclosure.:eek: I thought they were a herd of Bison at first.

Do you know if they are all pure Spanish race Brown bears? If so they must represent a sizeable percentage of the total population. If not, why not...?;)
    • Maguari
      From a bit of research, there does appear to be a separation enclosure - it seems to be bigger than most zoos' on-show enclosures, of course - but how you'd use it for anything other than a new arrival I've no idea! All the bears were in tip-top condition, though.

As to their origin, I'm not sure!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Parque de la Naturaleza de Cabarceno
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    17 Jun 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    293.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S9500
    Date / Time:
    2015:06:11 21:41:26
    Exposure Time:
    10/3200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    6.2 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).