Join our zoo community
Maguari

Brown Bears at Cabarceno, 11/06/15

Recently-fed, and attended by Black Kites and Carrion Crows.

Brown Bears at Cabarceno, 11/06/15
Maguari, 17 Jun 2015
pachyderm pro and Arizona Docent like this.
    • Maguari
      Recently-fed, and attended by Black Kites and Carrion Crows.
    • 11jadaway
      I imagine that Vladimir Putin's dreams are similar to this.
    • Elephas Maximus
      Certainly not. Otherwise he would order to create a bear sanctuary in Russia like this, where all the abused, rescued or unwanted captive bears might live.

Btw how the breeding is controlled here - those animals are neutered?
    • Maguari
      There were several young animals, including very young-looking cubs, so I'm not sure how regulated it is. The enclosure, despite the huge number of bears, did not appear to be at capacity - once the bears had dispersed after feeding they became much harder to locate.
    • 11jadaway
      I'm just having a friendly joke m9.
    • Elephas Maximus
      Bears are not herd animals to be kept like this and allowed to breed freely :(
      I suppose the only regulation of breeding happening here is infanticide.

P.S. Just noticed that 2 bears are mating...
    • Maguari
      They're only at this density in this image because the food has been put down. Seriously, the enclosure is huge - around 50-55,000 square metres (12ish acres/5ish hectares) at a rough guess, going by the Google Maps image - and has multiple separate levels, caves, and gorges. Outside of feeding times the bears disperse into this.
    • devilfish
      So did you feel it may have been a setup which was working well?
      I'd be very interested in your opinions about the zoo - a review would be great if you've got plans for it.
      When I first found out about Cabarceno a few years ago I was focussed on the elephant enclosure, and was wondering about the practicality from a visitor's or a keeper's perspective. Was it a satisfying visit overall?
      I can imagine that not finding animals, or only getting very distant views, may be a little frustrating at times.
      I wasn't aware that they kept such large groups of carnivores together, so it'd be interesting to know how well that works.
    • Pertinax
      Yes, adding to this already burgeoning population perhaps. I wonder how many cubs survive though. I think having a huge number of bears like this is not a very good way to exhibit them, from the Bears' point of view that is..

But the main question is- are they pure Spanish bears?
    • Maguari
      All I can say about this setup is that all the bears looked in perfect condition, we only noticed one proper squabble, and it makes an incredible display - and if you visited this enclosure at another time you'd be lucky to see half this number of bears.

The only mammal on show that we didn't see was Gaur - everything else was found without too much trouble, though a few were quite distant. The closest thing I can compare it to is a mountainous Whipsnade, but bigger!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Parque de la Naturaleza de Cabarceno
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    17 Jun 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    308.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1071px
    Aperture:
    f/6.3
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D80
    Date / Time:
    2015:06:11 11:11:37
    Exposure Time:
    10/6400 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length:
    70 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).