Join our zoo community
vogelcommando

Bulo Burti Bush-shrike

Also known as Bulo Burti Boubou. During the 1980-ties this specimen was catched in Somalia and because it was thought to be a new species brought to Germany. Here I was able to make some photos from it. Later it was discribed as a new species - Laniarius liberatus - and brought back to Somalia and released back into the wild ( hence the scientific name 'liberatus'! ). Again later it was discovered that it was a color-morph of an other Bush-shrike species Laniarius erlangeri. Sofar the pictured bird is still the only known specimen of this rare color morph !

Bulo Burti Bush-shrike
vogelcommando, 30 Oct 2013
Birdsage, Sicarius, BerdNerd and 2 others like this.
    • vogelcommando
      Also known as Bulo Burti Boubou. During the 1980-ties this specimen was catched in Somalia and because it was thought to be a new species brought to Germany. Here I was able to make some photos from it. Later it was discribed as a new species - Laniarius liberatus - and brought back to Somalia and released back into the wild ( hence the scientific name \'liberatus\'! ).
      Again later it was discovered that it was a color-morph of an other Bush-shrike species Laniarius erlangeri.
      Sofar the pictured bird is still the only known specimen of this rare color morph !
    • Tomek
      Where in Germany and how long the individual has been maintained? In Walsrode?
    • vogelcommando
      No not at Walsrode but in a privat collection and I promised the person to keep it secret.
      I have to look in my notes how long it was kept there but I think it was between 6 months to 1 year.
    • Tomek
      Thank you very much.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Somalia - Other
    Uploaded By:
    vogelcommando
    Date:
    30 Oct 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    153 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    905px
    Height:
    715px
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    MG5200 series

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).