Join our zoo community
korhoen

Burgers' Bush - Tapir hand dryer

These hand dryers can be used to heaten glasses and lenses. Burgers' Bush was opened in 1988 and is still one of the biggest tropical houses in the world! It holds species from all over the world, including 35 free-flying birdspecies, manatees, aardvarks and caimans. 21/3/15

Burgers' Bush - Tapir hand dryer
korhoen, 22 Mar 2015
felis silvestris likes this.
    • korhoen
      These hand dryers can be used to heaten glasses and lenses.

Burgers\' Bush was opened in 1988 and is still one of the biggest tropical houses in the world! It holds species from all over the world, including 35 free-flying birdspecies, manatees, aardvarks and caimans.
      21/3/15
    • Arizona Docent
      Interesting idea, but I wonder if it works. Assuming this is in an entry area where you have just come in from the cold, what would prevent the lens from steaming up under the dryer the same as it would when you walk into the main exhibit. Is it the lack of humidity? If it works, it is brilliant because this is a huge problem (camera fogging) that many snapshooters are unaware of. This is the first time I have seen a zoo (or anyplace for that matter) attempt to address the problem.
    • zooboy28
      @AD, I've seen these in a few zoos' tropical houses (although never in the shape of a Tapir!), and they do seem to work quite well. I can't recall where I have seen them, but there is a photo in the gallery of one at Dortmund too.
    • korhoen
      I can assure you they work!:D These dryers are in the hallway leading to the Bush and in the underground tunnel between the Bush and the Desert so the humidity is low which is why they work so well.
    • EmperorTamarin
      They work incredibly well, I always use them. They have these in the Mangrove too, Blijdorp has some too I believe. This really should be a must in all tropical houses, especially during winter times (Berlin, I'm looking at you).
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Burgers' Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    korhoen
    Date:
    22 Mar 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count: