Join our zoo community
David Matos Mendes

Burrowing owl - Vespasiano, MG Brazil

Burrowing owl (Athene cunicularia) hanging out on the rafter of my balcony.

Burrowing owl - Vespasiano, MG Brazil
    • David Matos Mendes
      Burrowing owl (Athene cunicularia) hanging out on the rafter of my balcony.
    • Enzo
      The only time I saw a wild owl was in 2019 when I visited the so-called Forte de Copacabana. One or two burrowing owls were residing in one of the cannons.
    • David Matos Mendes
      @Enzo
      I find it very interesting how these creatures feel so confortable with human made structures. I had no idea they used to inhabit the Forte de Copacabana, as it's quite a busy place, at least with tourists. This proves how used to the anthropic action they are. This species sometimes nidify here in my house, but I see them more often in my grandma's neighborhood. This individual in the picture vomited some pellets (rests of animals fur and bones), stayed here for quite a while, and flew away when I tried to offer her some water.
    • Great Argus
      @David Matos Mendes The Florida population of Burrowing owls often frequents golf courses and even people's yards, living side by side with people generally unconcerned. The owls in the Western part of the US generally are found farther away from people, strangely enough.
    • David Matos Mendes
      @Great Argus
      That's interesting! Is there a special motive for that?
      Here in Brazil they are always close to humans in the entire teritorry, for what I know. In my city, they are always around, and seem to really enjoy empty lots (for making their burrows) and people's houses, probably because of the rat population...
    • Great Argus
      @David Matos Mendes I don't know what causes the difference between the habitat preferences of the populations. It may be that the western population is linked more to prairie dog towns and open grassland areas. In many cases they are pretty tolerant of people visiting them and observing them, but don't often choose to live too near people.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Brazil - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    David Matos Mendes
    Date:
    14 Apr 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1,005.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    3062px
    Height:
    2296px
    Aperture:
    f/5.7
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    COOLPIX P500
    Date / Time:
    2021:04:12 12:19:32
    Exposure Time:
    10/1000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 180
    Focal Length:
    144 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).