Join our zoo community
Arizona Docent

But it's a dry heat!

Taken on a summer Saturday night opening.

But it's a dry heat!
Arizona Docent, 9 Jul 2016
amur leopard likes this.
    • Arizona Docent
      Taken on a summer Saturday night opening.
    • Arizona Docent
      There is a running joke in Arizona about the triple digit (Farenheit) summer heat. It is on tourist t-shirts and postcards, usually accompanied by a skeleton under a scorching sun. The saying goes "but it's a dry heat!"
    • Hix
      That's a great shot!

Having spent time in both dry heat and humid heat, I know which I prefer!
    • LaughingDove
      Which do you prefer Hix? Although a humid heat isn't quite as tiring and painful as a dry heat it is much less pleasant.
      Also 100 F was much less in C than I was expecting, around 38 degrees. That's hot, but not debilitatingly so.

Awesome picture though anyway!
    • Maguari
      Humid heat is horrible. Dry heat can be fended off by sensible clothing and plenty of water. Nothing you can do about humid heat.
    • LaughingDove
      True, though I find I'm less tired and have more energy to do stuff when it's humid than when it's dry. Also 40 degrees and humid doesn't feel as hot as 40 degrees and dry.
    • Maguari
      Not me! Humidity takes much more out of me (even warm and humid is less comfortable than hot and dry).
    • Hix
      Dry heat.

I had the opportunity a few years ago to visit Kuwait in their summer. It is a very dry heat, and very hot. Each day it broke 50ºC, one day almost 55º (that's 122 and 131ºF). Yes, it was hot, but I stayed in the shade and didn't do anything stupid like running around. And I drank plenty of liquids.

A couple of years later I was in the Solomon Islands. The temp was only 30ºC (86ºF) but the humidity was 80%+, and I found it much harder to tolerate as the humidity just seemed to suck the energy right out of me. Just standing in the shade you sweat profusely, your clothes stick to you, and you feel all grotty. I much preferred the higher temperatures and zero humidity in Kuwait.

I'm with a Maguari 100% on this one.

Having said all that, I'm currently living on Christmas Island, with high humidity.

:p

Hix
    • Arizona Docent
      Yes I have been to Florida in the summer a couple times and you sweat just walking outside. As stated above, your clothes stick to you and you feel gross. Dry heat is easy to take. I like it hot anyway and here in Arizona I rarely break a sweat unless I am doing something very strenuous.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    9 Jul 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    55.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    432px
    Height:
    432px
    Aperture:
    f/7.1
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III
    Date / Time:
    2016:06:04 19:10:22
    Exposure Time:
    1/1000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 160
    Focal Length:
    400 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).