Join our zoo community
Hammy

Buttonwood Park Zoo master plan

You can see pictures taken at New England Aquarium and what looks like other zoos in here. Taken July 9, 2019.

Buttonwood Park Zoo master plan
Hammy, 10 Jul 2019
    • pachyderm pro
      Quite an undertaking for such a small zoo. Interesting to see that the elephants will be kept around considering that (and correct me if I'm wrong) the current ones are both quite old and share arguably the worst exhibit of it's kind in the country. The rest of this plan looks great through, especially the small Asian amphibian conservation center.
    • Hammy
      @pachyderm pro
      I think the inclusion of elephants in this plan is a sign of wishful thinking at best. From everything I've heard, there are no plans to acquire more after Emily and Ruth pass. Their exhibit has been expanded somewhat in the past few years, but you're right, it still isn't great. Otherwise, yeah, if all this can be accomplished, then I'm certainly excited. Cautiously optimistic.
    • Coelacanth18
      They have a photo of Indian rhinos on there and I don't see an enclosure labeled for them. Perhaps they would replace the elephants after they phase them out? That's often what zoos replace Asian elephants with.
    • Yi Qi
      The zoo has a full version of the map here. The page also confirms they will indeed be adding indian rhinos once Emily and Ruth go to the Great Jungle in the Sky. I myself am open to the zoo potentially going with another endangered asian species, like orangutans, malayan tapirs, visayan warty pigs, or bactrian camels.
      Coelacanth18 and Hammy like this.
    • Hipporex
      Seems like a nice little zoo that I'd like to visit someday if/when I finally get to visit the East Coast.

Also @Yi Qi the Bactrian camels (Camelus bactrianus) kept in zoos aren't Endangered, they're domesticated, like their North African cousins. What your thinking of, the wild Bactrian camel (Camelus ferus), which is indeed (Critically) Endangered, is kept no where in captivity to my knowledge. But besides that I do agree that might be a good idea to go with a more at risk animal than the Indian rhino.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Buttonwood Park Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Hammy
    Date:
    10 Jul 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.7 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4032px
    Height:
    3024px
    Aperture:
    f/1.8
    Make:
    Razer
    Model:
    Phone 2
    Date / Time:
    2019:07:09 14:26:22
    Exposure Time:
    16666666/1000000000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 151
    Focal Length:
    4.288 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).