Join our zoo community
Maguari

Caiman Exhibit at Long Sutton 25/04/11

Now, I'm not too averse to the odd functional rather than fancy exhibit here and there, but this is dire - the decking [i]overhangs[/i] the water, with a vertical gap of several inches on the rear and right-hand sides, and I genuinely can't see an easy way for the caiman to leave the water. The pool itself is a simple rectangular pond liner with no slope or planted covering. It's ugly, dark [i]and[/i] poorly laid out for the animal.

Caiman Exhibit at Long Sutton 25/04/11
Maguari, 1 May 2011
    • Maguari
      Now, I\'m not too averse to the odd functional rather than fancy exhibit here and there, but this is dire - the decking overhangs the water, with a vertical gap of several inches on the rear and right-hand sides, and I genuinely can\'t see an easy way for the caiman to leave the water. The pool itself is a simple rectangular pond liner with no slope or planted covering. It\'s ugly, dark and poorly laid out for the animal.
    • chizlit
      Pity there isn't an unlike tab to press here.
      No matter what angle you take the picture from it's still going to be a poor show.
      Is the caiman a fairly new addition to the park and they just plonked it here until something better could be done? (Im clutching at straws here.......).
    • Maguari
      I have been told that this is the 'new and improved' caiman exhibit, implying this actually replaced something else, but this was my first visit so I can't confirm that myself.

As you say, if this were temporary it would excuse some of its faults (but not the absence of a ramp out of the water).
    • ZooLeopard
      They have had Caiman for quite a few years. I went back here a few weeks ago and saw this enclosure, wasn't impressed! Also they have now have created an enclosure on the left hand side of this enclosure for Iguana, very small indeed.
    • Maguari
      Iguana and Cane Toad, in fact, according to the label, but I only saw one iguana in there. Don't have any photos of that one, but it wasn't great.
    • ZooLeopard
      That was the one! I don't have any photos either as I forgot my camera! The butterfly house also looked very bare as they had a very bad winter. To top it all off, I remember reading a sign that said they lost all of their ant colony as the queen had died.
    • zoogiraffe
      @ Maguari I know i said this was the new improved exhibit to you but having seen this picture,I actually think it is worse than the old one so much for progress!!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Butterfly and Wildlife Park Long Sutton
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    1 May 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    143.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix F100fd
    Date / Time:
    2011:04:25 14:37:01
    Exposure Time:
    10/1100 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 800
    Focal Length:
    6.4 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).