Join our zoo community
Jake

Cane toad Tadpole ID

ID needed please.

Cane toad Tadpole ID
Jake, 2 Jan 2020
TheGerenuk and UngulateNerd92 like this.
    • Great Argus
      I'm confused... was cane Toad in the title an accident?
    • Chlidonias
      Do you have access to a library? I'm pretty sure the field guide to Australian frogs by Archer has illustrations of tadpoles for ID purposes.
    • Jake
      @Great Argus I was wondering if it was a Cane Toad tadpole. I was going to rescue them from my dam as the water levels are receding and raise them to adults if they were Tree Frog Tadpoles.
      Great Argus likes this.
    • Jake
      @Chlidonias I have googled and researched Cane toad tadpoles and the only thing that comes up is what to do if your kids or dog lick or eat toads:rolleyes:
    • Chlidonias
      @Jake - you could rear them and if they turn into Cane Toadlets (it will be obvious as soon as they near metamorphosis) put them in the freezer. And if they are not Cane Toads, release them.
      Jake, Great Argus and AWP like this.
    • Chlidonias
      From some quick googling, that is a Cane Toad tadpole.

See, for example, https://imb.uq.edu.au/files/16159/CTC Cane Toad Tadpole Identification Guide.pdf

Tail-length is a key identification for them (along with colouration etc - e.g. toad tadpoles are always black whereas frog tadpoles are at most dark brown). In toad tadpoles the tail is only one to one-and-a-half body-length. Native tadpoles have much longer tails.

Also, in case you don't know this, toads lay eggs in strings and frogs in clusters (like jelly). If there are any eggs still there you will see that.
      Jake likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Animal or Zoo Identification
    Uploaded By:
    Jake
    Date:
    2 Jan 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    698.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    3264px
    Height:
    2448px
    Aperture:
    f/2.2
    Make:
    Apple
    Model:
    iPhone 6
    Date / Time:
    2020:01:02 17:42:46
    Exposure Time:
    1/100 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 40
    Focal Length:
    4.15 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).