Cape Buffalo at Knowsley Safari Park 08/09/12

[i]Syncerus caffer[/i]

Cape Buffalo at Knowsley Safari Park 08/09/12
Jordan-Jaguar97, 9 Sep 2012
Macaulay likes this.
    • Jordan-Jaguar97
      Syncerus caffer
    • Nick@Amsterdam
      Amazing that these 'strong' fences keep this herd inside… :)
    • IanRRobinson
      Wonderful animals. I know there isn't space to do everything, but it's a shame that this form has largely disappeared from UK collections.
    • Nick@Amsterdam
      They are indeed! I believe this species has disappeared from most European collections throughout the past 20-30 years. Shame really, as these are really impressive animals. I know Antwerp Zoo keeps and breeds them regularly in order to be released back into the wild (in South Africa). I've seen them in a few Spanish, Portuguese, German and some other East European zoos though I'm not sure if they breed them nowadays.
    • Pertinax
      I believe at least one(?) calf has been born here since they brought in a male from Europe.

Anyone know 1. the sex of the calf. 2. if any more have been born or are pregnant? (the five cows are all quite well advanced in age though)
    • filipinos
      Badoca Safari Park keeps Cape Buffalo, but i believe they are not pure. They haven´t bred yet, not sure if they want to breed them.
      Lisbon also keeps Cape Buffalo, and i believe they do bred. They are pure, i´m sure.
    • zoomaniac
      Hmh, interesting to know to which continent Great Britain/UK belongs to if not Europe:p
    • Pertinax
      To people in the UK, animals that come from Zoos in other European countries are normally referred to as coming 'from Europe'.
    • zoomaniac
      I knew that, but I couldn't resist... (And this from a man livining in a country where another man came from and held a famous speech in Zurich about how important it is that European nations come together after WWII (By the way: It was Winston Churchill).
    • Pootle
      Better late then never I suppose...

1. Sex of calf - male
      2. No more born to this date, if pregnant its early stages and not showing yet.

In the background is the bull of the herd. Hecame from Boras Zoo, Sweden

cheers P
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Knowsley Safari Park
    Uploaded By:
    Jordan-Jaguar97
    Date:
    9 Sep 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    303.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/5.9
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S4000
    Date / Time:
    2012:09:07 23:47:38
    Exposure Time:
    10/3200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    89.55 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).