Join our zoo community
mhale

Capybaras at Wickid Pets Animal Adventure, 11 June 2011

Capybaras at Wickid Pets Animal Adventure, 11 June 2011
mhale, 17 Aug 2011
    • stubeanz
      How recent are these additions... From what I have read the zoo don't have much in regards to space?
    • mhale
      I don't know how long the capybaras have been there - I only visited there for the first time in April this year. This is not a zoo, but an animal collection attached to an exotic pet shop and no, there isn't much space.
    • stubeanz
      I agree its on the side of a petshop but It must have a zoo license though? What were your thoughts on the Place?
    • zoogiraffe
      I believe it doesn't have a zoo licence as it runs on the pet shop licence as I believe everything is for sale at a price!!
    • chizlit
      As much as I like a capybara I'm not sure I'd like one on my back lawn!
      Wonder what kind of checks they have in place as for how to keep the animals and what to feed them etc, not to mention taking a capybara to the vets if it becomes ill.........
    • mhale
      All the animals are for sale but I believe they run an animal care course which potential buyers must attend before an exotic animal is sold to them.
    • chizlit
      That's good to hear.
    • Brum
      I'm pretty sure you need a DWA liscence for a lot of their stock. Capybara, genet, banded mongoose... I may be wrong on the last 2 but I'm fairly certain that capybara are on the list and are one of only a few rodents that are on the DWA. If that's the case then how does it work?

I am willing to be corrected though...
    • chizlit
      I'm kind of amazed that they can be sold to the public for several reasons, for example if they were to escape or just released into the wild especially after what happened to other rodents in the UK (coypu).
      Added to this the size that they can achieve and the fact they would need a largeish water feature.
    • Brum
      Coypu were probably released or escaped from fur farms if I remember correctly, I don't think a couple of capybara would be able to do anywhere near as much damage and I doubt they'd be able to be a self sustaining population for very long.
      It's got to be said that I'd kill to have a local pet shop like this but I'm still very confused about the sale of "dangerous" animals. Does anyone know anything about checks, paperwork or anything else? What's stopping me buying a mongoose and taking it home. Even worse what's stopping someone buying something even less suitable for their child? :eek:
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Wickid Pets Animal Adventure
    Uploaded By:
    mhale
    Date:
    17 Aug 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    370.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.5
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S5800 S800
    Date / Time:
    2011:06:11 10:59:18
    Exposure Time:
    10/1700 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 64
    Focal Length:
    12.7 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).