geomorph

Carnivore Kingdom

Entry sign

Carnivore Kingdom
geomorph, 13 Jun 2009
    • geomorph
      Entry sign
    • Otter Lord
      Interesting.. a whole area dedicated to carnivores? What kind of species do they have here?
    • geomorph
      They had Coatis, Snow Leopard, Fishing Cat, Giant Otters, Canada Lynx. There is also a Red Panda exhibit but it was empty when I visited (they admit that they are not carnivores).
    • Ituri
      Carnivore has multiple definitions. One is an animal that eats meat. But an alternative definition is an animal in the order Carnivora. By that definition red pandas are VERY much carnivores.
    • jusko88
      my visit there earlier this year the coati exhibit was empty, 2 red panda exhibits now, dwarf mongooses, southern ground hornbill, black-footed cat was in the fishing cat exhibit, canada lynx and a great giant otter exhibit .
    • mweb08
      There's also a species of monitor lizard in this exhibit complex, which I think is a good one.
    • Zooplantman
      I might add that this complex is basically an adaptive re-use of the old 1951 Carnivora building.
      And then it won the AZA Exhibit Award.
    • Arizona Docent
      It used to have an amur leopard in an exhibit that was barely big enough for an ocelot. An earlier post says they had snow leopard there, but I hope that is a thing of the past. It is a decent exhibit area, but nothing spectacular. However, if there is black-footed cat I would love to go back to see that.
    • jusko88
      the amur leopard & snow leopard were both in big cat falls. though i didnt see the amur leopard. Arizona Docent did you by chance go to the philly zoo before 2007. cause 2007 is when big cat falls opened. i cant believe they had these 2 species of big cats at one time in carnivore kingdom:eek:. all the exhibits are too small.
    • mweb08
      Snow leopard were in the hornbill exhibit until pretty recently.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Philadelphia Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    geomorph
    Date:
    13 Jun 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: