Join our zoo community
Arizona Docent

cassowary exhibit

September 2021

cassowary exhibit
    • Mr Gharial
      Pretty cool idea with the outback road and typical road sign. Though it seems more suited for Emus
    • Ituri
      The reason for the road in this exhibit in particular is because road collisions are a significant conservation issue with cassowaries in particular.
    • Arizona Docent
      As a fan of all natural exhibits, I find it ugly. Even the fence lines are bad, but the fake road is just too much!
    • KevinB
      I understand the story behind the road in the exhibit, and it is a good story to tell as part of education, but if I had designed the exhibit myself the road part would have gone on the outside of the exhibit, for example as part of the visitor area or the theming, while keeping the exhibit more naturalistic and lush (which would be suitable for a mostly forest species like the cassowary, though I know they also sometimes go into more open areas and coastal areas).
    • Ituri
      I tend to agree. While I understand what they were going for here, aesthetically I don't care for the way it was done.
    • Arizona Docent
      Considering how small the exhibit is (too small IMO), they have sacrificed a large amount of natural substrate for an asphalt road.
      snowleopard likes this.
    • Arizona Docent
      If I remember correctly, there is a second cassowary exhibit on the left side that does not have a road.
    • OkapiFan
      @Arizona Docent You are right, also when the two are old enough, they will both be able to access the whole exhibit during mating season
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Greensboro Science Center
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    22 Sep 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    642.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    820px
    Height:
    547px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    XF10
    Date / Time:
    2021:09:07 06:27:02
    Exposure Time:
    10/1700 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    18.5 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).