snowleopard

Cat Canyon - Overview

July 31st, 2011.

Cat Canyon - Overview
snowleopard, 29 Sep 2011
    • snowleopard
      July 31st, 2011.
    • snowleopard
      In the 1960's the cat collection at ASDM was superb: Mountain Lion, Jaguar, Jaguarundi, Bobcat, Ocelot and Margay. It is a far cry from these days, as foxes, raccoons and porcupines have been common occupants of the 4-exhibit complex "Cat Canyon".
    • Ituri
      At least they still have three of those cat species you listed, and I'm confident that two of the others will return to the Museum at some point in the future.
    • DavidBrown
      They still had all of these cats in 1988 when I first visited ASDM. The jaguar was in a standard 1960s era big cat cage right at the front entrance. The mountain lion and small cats were in their current exhibits (with several of the small cats now replaced by foxes, etc.).
    • TeamTapir223
      Only Bobcats and a Ocelot currently occupy Cat Canyon

Team Tapir223
    • Ituri
      Were the Gray Fox and North American Porcupine still there as well?
    • TeamTapir223
      Yes after referring back to photos we took the grey fox and porcupine are also on exhibit here.

Team Tapir223
    • Arizona Docent
      Well I certainly hope so, but I will believe it when I see it. Sadly, margay is unlikely - the two that Ituri is referring to are jaguarundi and jaguar. The former is the more feasible in the immediate future, because they already have the exhibit in Cat Canyon and the Felid TAG is listing them as a phase-in species. The jaguar I am not holding my breath, because they have to build a major new exhibit and some of their current projects (namely the exhibition hall and adjacent mule deer and completion of coyote) have been on indefinite hold for over almost two decades. Just half finished areas sitting idle. Life On The Rocks (a relatively small area) was under construction for an entire decade. They have been claiming they will bring jaguars back for the entire 20 years I have lived in Tucson, but nothing ever comes of it.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    29 Sep 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    238.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.5
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-ZS5
    Date / Time:
    2011:07:31 11:14:27
    Exposure Time:
    10/5000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 80
    Focal Length:
    4.1 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).