Join our zoo community
zooboy28

Central American Wood Turtle - Melbourne Zoo June 2013

Central American Wood Turtle - Melbourne Zoo June 2013
zooboy28, 23 Jun 2013
Yoshistar888 and Patrick Keegan like this.
    • zooboy28
      Melbourne Zoo 22 June 2013

Central American Wood Turtle, Rhinoclemmys pulcherrima, the only individual at the zoo. This is a rare species in Australasia, with Melbourne Zoo the only ZAA holder.

Species originally identified as Twist-necked Turtle, hence the following discussion.
    • Chlidonias
      they came from the National Zoo in Washington in 1987.
    • zooboy28
      Oooh. I'm guessing its highly unlikely there are any others of this species in Australasia then?
    • Chlidonias
      I'm pretty sure they are the only ones. They have laid fertile eggs but I don't know if they have had any babies actually survive (if they have then there may be some in other zoos, but they would likely be ZAA zoos and if there are none listed then I would say not).
    • vogelcommando
      Nice picture of this seldom seen species !
    • Chlidonias
      I just realised the zoo's listing for this species is 1.1.2 which obviously strongly implies they have bred them successfully. So I had a look into some recent zoo records:
      2011-2012 the listing was also 1.1.2
      In 2010 there were 1.2.2
      In 2008 and 2009 1.3.2
      In 2007 there were 1.2.3

The first fertile eggs were laid in 1988 but the resulting (single) hatchling did not survive. They obviously did manage it successfully after that however, but the population has never really gone anywhere. From some googling it appears that breeding this species isn't regular with most in the trade (overseas) still wild-caught, so well done to the zoo on the successes they have had.
    • zooboy28
      They seem to be quite succesful in the reptile house then! I wonder if they are even trying to breed this species now though. They would be an interesting addition to a South American aviary (over the summer months).
    • wally war eagle
      turtle correct identification

this turtle is Rhinoclemmys pulcherrima, central american wood turtle. I have several species of this genera breeding in my private collection. The best chelonian photo book series are available in english through TERRALOG.
    • Chlidonias
      wally war eagle is correct. (I just checked some photos to make sure :D). I had been going to say that was unlikely as the original animals from National Zoo had been wild-caught in Bolivia, but the two species look completely different and it turns out that Melbourne Zoo also has one male Rhinoclemmys pulcherrima in its collection (presumably in the same terrarium as the Platemys platycephala).
    • zooboy28
      Yes, I agree that this is clearly not a twist-necked turtle, although it was definitely in a terrarium with that species label on it. I can't remember if there were other turtle species labels on it or not though. I'll have to go back and check!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Melbourne Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    zooboy28
    Date:
    23 Jun 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count: