snowleopard

Central Park Zoo - Sea Lion Pool

July 2008.

Central Park Zoo - Sea Lion Pool
snowleopard, 23 Aug 2008
    • mstickmanp
      Looks like a nice exhibit.
    • snowleopard
      It is quite nice, with the water continually splashing over the top.
    • ZooBinh
      Can the sea lions jump out.
    • ThylacineAlive
      @mstickmanp California Sea Lions are a staple of all five of the WCS collections, with Central Park, Prospect Park, and Bronx all featuring them at the center of their entry courtyards (Bronx's original entrance anyhow). This enclosure is one of my favorite ones and I think the only one with underwater viewing.

~Thylo
    • DavidBrown
      @ThylacineAlive I didn't realize that Prospect Park and Queens Zoo had sea lions also. Of course it makes sense that the aquarium does also. This really is the signature animal of WCS's collections that ties them all together.
    • ThylacineAlive
      @DavidBrown Yep, PPZ has the same circular-style pool with a moat that both Bronx and CPZ do. I'm not really sure where that tradition comes from but suspect it's because Bronx has been exhibiting the species in more or less the same spot since 1899/1900 so they probably became iconic.

The aquarium exhibits them in the Sea Cliffs exhibit in similar enclosures to the seals and Sea Otters. They used to have a proper underwater viewing area but that closed after the hurricane and I'm not sure if it's set to ever reopen.

~Thylo
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Central Park Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    23 Aug 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    418.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-TZ5
    Date / Time:
    2008:07:19 11:35:15
    Exposure Time:
    10/4000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    4.7 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).