Join our zoo community
PAT

Central Zoo (Kathmandu Zoo) Map

Central Zoo (Kathmandu Zoo) Map
PAT, 29 Nov 2014
    • PAT
      I visited Central Zoo (Kathmandu's only zoo) today and thought I'd share the more current map and write a short review. I took this on my phone as a reference and all of the other photos are on my camera so will have to wait until I'm back in Australia.
      Initially, I was hesitant about visiting this zoo because I've yet to visit a zoo in a developing country and don't want to be supporting the type of facility that is only in it for the money. After talking to a couple of people who have visited and reading some online reviews I decided that the current management of the Central Zoo is definitely worth supporting and my entrance fee (however small) will be valued.
      A few of the major differences between this map and reality are:-
      -the leopard exhibit is boarded up and they are currently exhibited in the langur enclosure near the bears. The former leopard cage would have been tiny for any species if big cat, as well as dark and low roofed.
      -the two exhibits for blackbuck and spotted deer near the entrance have been combined into one exhibit.
      -and there is only one tiger exhibit. The left hand exhibit is still under construction but will be fantastic if the right hand exhibit is anything to go by.

I'd be happy to answer anyone's questions (wifi permitting).
    • zooboy28
      Wow PAT, super jealous! I hope you are going to write up a big thread about your trip to Nepal, not just a review of the zoo (which I definitely want to read too).

In the meantime - what species were exhibited under the map label "small mammals"?
    • DavidBrown
      Cool map of the zoo. How was it relative to your expectations?

Are you able to visit any of the national parks and wildlife areas of Nepal and look for gharials, rhinos, etc.?
    • Chlidonias
      I second all parts of this post!
    • PAT
      I'm at Chitwan as I type this; rhinos and gharials have been quite easy to spot and I've seen innumerous new species of birds. Some tourists that I've spoken to have had terrible luck in regards to rhinos and have been here for a few days without seeing any, I've seen four in two days. Also, I've only been able to access the internet on my phone for the last few weeks and it's driving me crazy so a full review will have to wait until I have a full keyboard.
      In terms of my expectations, the zoo surpassed them but I went in with very low ones. Some exhibits were bad (as you'd expect), a lot of the zoo was average, and a few things were surprisingly good. The small mammal area was a central building surrounded by 6 small meshed exhibits for; Himalayan Palm civet, leopard cat, large Indian civet, Common palm civet, Indian crested porcupine, and jungle cat.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Kathmandu Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    PAT
    Date:
    29 Nov 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    333.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1200px
    Height:
    1600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).