Join our zoo community
gentle lemur

Ceylon leopard 1974

Panthera pardus kotiya, adult female. Big Cat Enclosures, Dierenpark Wassenaar, 20th July 1974. Scanned from an Ektachrome transparency, see post in Wassenaar forum.

Ceylon leopard 1974
gentle lemur, 6 Sep 2016
    • gentle lemur
      Panthera pardus kotiya, adult female. Big Cat Enclosures, Dierenpark Wassenaar, 20th July 1974.
      Scanned from an Ektachrome transparency, see post in Wassenaar forum.
    • Arizona Docent
      For the young members who were not alive at the time, Ceylon is what Sri Lanka used to be called.
    • TeaLovingDave
      Of course, it had ceased to be called Ceylon two years prior to this photograph being taken :p not that it matters, given the fact I was born 15 years after it was renamed yet still sometimes use the old name!

Still not seen this subspecies, by the by.
    • LaughingDove
      Ceylon is still often used when referring to tea. ;)
    • Arizona Docent
      You must get yourself to Le Parc des Felins! It is an easy Eurostar trip across the Channel.
    • TeaLovingDave
      I also want to get there for the nominate Golden Cat and Jungle Cat, of course.

South Lakes and Banham Zoo both have Ceylon Leopard too, but I have little desire to revisit the former and the latter is very difficult to reach indeed.
    • Brum
      It can't be too difficult if you happen to be in that neck of the woods, maybe we should have an East Anglian Adventure Of A TeaLovingDave? :p
    • TeaLovingDave
      Actually, by all accounts public transport within Norfolk and Suffolk is terrible :p as are the roads!

According to Google Maps, Norfolk is:

19 miles from Banham, but 90 minutes by public transport with two changes at the quickest, with this journey only doable twice a day (1243 and 1735)
      17 miles from Thrigby Hall, but 104 minutes by public transport with four changes and a walk at the quickest, with this journey only doable twice a day (0925 and 1547)
      26 miles from Africa Alive, but 98 minutes by public transport with three changes and a walk at the quickest; this journey is doable a few times a day, but never the same combination of buses/trains.
    • gentle lemur
      Your Honour, I am well aware of the name of the country repeatedly mentioned above. However, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I contend that this fact is totally irrelevant.
      In writing the caption for this photo, I followed my customary policy of using the name of the animal illustrated, with the year of the image as it is of historic interest.
      Furthermore, if the animal has alternative names - unless I have a strong reason for the choice of one name rather than another, I follow the practice of consulting Zootierliste to decide on the name to use. I realise that there are alternative sources, but Zootierliste is both comprehensive and easy to use.
      Zootierliste gives the English name of Panthera pardus kotiya as Ceylon leopard (Sri Lankan leopard).
      I rest my case :p

Alan
    • Arizona Docent
      I was pleasantly surprised on my last visit (March 2015) to see both black and tan jungle cats exhibited together. On my previous three trips, it had been tan only.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Dierenpark Wassenaar (Closed)
    Uploaded By:
    gentle lemur
    Date:
    6 Sep 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    159.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    566px
    Height:
    800px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).