Join our zoo community
Maguari

Chacoan Mara at Best, 02/06/12

[i]Dolichotis salinicola[/i] Unlabelled in the Satyr Tragopan aviary (just as - very helpfully - indicated by Zootierliste) and a first for me.

Chacoan Mara at Best, 02/06/12
Maguari, 23 Jun 2012
    • Maguari
      Dolichotis salinicola

Unlabelled in the Satyr Tragopan aviary (just as - very helpfully - indicated by Zootierliste) and a first for me.

They do look very noticeably different from the familiar D. patagonum, and are only around half the size. Lovely little animal.
    • Chlidonias
      wow they do look really different don't they. Is this an adult?
    • Maguari
      I'm not sure,to be honest, but looking at other photos I believe so. Either adult or very nearly so, anyway.

Somehow, this was far stranger than seeing Proboscis Monkeys, say - rather than a brand new weird animal it was a weird version of a very familiar one. Rather odd.

For some time certain zoos' patagonum were ISIS-listed as salinicola (Twycross' maras were, for instance). Safe to say once you've seen real salinicola you wouldn't mix them up...
    • Hix
      I have to agree - they don't look like Mara at all. Then again, they don't look much like anything else either - but you can certainly see faint Mara similarities.
    • Maguari
      The shape of the head and ears are very like (a slightly dinkier version of) the Patagonian Mara - the body much more agouti-like. It's almost a rabbit to the Patagonian''s hare.
      Zhao yun likes this.
    • Shorts
      What a beauty! I knew they had them when I visited, per Zootierliste, but missed it as I wasn't looking for anything quite so small or sharing an aviary with a Tragopan -I spent a lot of time scanning the paddocks though:).

I've got a photo of the Tragopan, so I was "that" close, grrr! Better luck next time I hope.
    • Pygathrix
      According to zootierliste they have bred this year in Berlin Tierpark and Ebbs Zoo in Austria. Prague has them off show too. If they turn out to be as prolific as their larger relatives there should be many more of them around Europe in the coming years.
    • Zhao yun
      @Maguari
      Agreed about the rabbit resemblance... thought you were being sarcastic about the mara.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    BestZoo
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    23 Jun 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    304.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.1
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S7000
    Date / Time:
    2012:06:02 10:34:47
    Exposure Time:
    10/800 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    24 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).