Join our zoo community
MagpieGoose

Cheetah enclosure

Former Bush Dog enclosure

Cheetah enclosure
    • James Barber
      Is this the former Bush Dog enclosure? If so then I guess the Cheetahs will be using this and the former Serval enclosure too.
    • JoeDK14
      Suppose it is a good enclosure for cheetah, were the bush dogs in spirit of the jaguar?
    • Andrew Swales
      Cheetahs need long views into the distance.
      Is there any record of them swimming...?
      Antoine likes this.
    • Coelacanth18
      "Cheetahs need long views into the distance."

@Andrew Swales is this a security thing for them - since they're used to surveying the surrounding territory, they become anxious or distressed without having an elevated viewing location?
    • Andrew Swales
      @Coelacanth18
      I'm not sure if it could actually be said they become 'anxious or distressed' - but, from our experience if given the chance or choice, they will always keep at least 'half an eye' on the distance. Presumably for a transient, nomadic spp their prey, their potential mates, and their many threats, will always come at ground level and from a distance. They have hugely powerful eyesight and can seem to look straight through you whilst focusing on something a human can't see or spot, many, many hundred of meters away. Given the chance to lie up on a high platform, most will spend a large part of the day there.
      So my personal answer to your question, is that I have no proof other than our own observations of behaviour, but my gut feeling is 'probably'...
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Chester Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    MagpieGoose
    Date:
    17 Jul 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    8.8 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4896px
    Height:
    3672px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DC-FZ82
    Date / Time:
    2020:07:17 14:13:33
    Exposure Time:
    10/3200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 80
    Focal Length:
    3.6 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).