Join our zoo community
Zoofan15

Cheetah Exhibit

Photo taken 31/05/2023.

Cheetah Exhibit
Zoofan15, 1 Jun 2023
    • Swanson02
      I've never seen this exhibit before, love the central tree, adds a real flavor to it. Do the cheetahs ever climb the tree?
    • Zoofan15
      @Swanson02 It opened in 2006, but it’s off to the side and receives little foot traffic. The Cheetah are going to be phased out according to the latest masterplan, so I thought I’d get a photo while I can.

No, I’ve never seen them use the tree. 90% of the time they’re on the platform, as they are in this photo. From what I’ve heard, Cheetah have semi-retractable claws, so although they can climb trees, they’re not as adept as leopards etc. and don’t readily do so. I imagine it’s solely there for shade.
    • Swanson02
      @Zoofan15 Such a shame that they are being phased out. Any reason why? Are any species going to replace them?
    • Zoofan15
      @Swanson02

It’s not a large exhibit and public perception of this species means they’re viewed as a felid more suited to open range zoos. From the zoo’s end, they’ve no doubt observed the lack of visitor engagement with this exhibit (the cats rarely approach the glass) and believe the space could be better utilised.

I’d be fine with the phase out if a more suitable species was in the plans, but last I heard they were threatening to replace the Cheetah, Serval and Hamadryas baboon exhibit with a nature play area for kids. Aside from adding little value to the zoo and wiping out three exhibits, the Hamadryas baboon exhibit is one of the most popular exhibits in the zoo. Hopefully they reconsider.
    • steveroberts
      @Zoofan15 @Swanson02

It is a really nice exhibit. It's a shame that the Cheetah's are to be phased out by the zoo, Auckland being to my knowledge the sole remaining city zoo in Australasia to still keep Cheetahs.
      Zoofan15 likes this.
    • Zoofan15
      @steveroberts Auckland Zoo are indeed one of the last. The National Zoo and Sydney Zoo still hold them. Hamilton Zoo do too, but the zoo has more of an open range vibe than a true city zoo.

Cheetah will be loss to Auckland Zoo, though a comparatively small one compared to the Hamadryas baboons imo. It’s unfathomable the zoo are considering scrapping such a popular exhibit for a nature play area.
    • steveroberts
      @Zoofan15

Yeah especially because a nature play area near the Pridelands precinct could probably be found somewhere else adjacent (and thats just the scenario where a play area in the location is still do-able, in my opinion I know I share with you and our other friends the bottom line is maintaining species where phase out makes no sense, ie 95% of them, and one less play area is no loss..though parents and market researchers would debunk my opinion on that). I accepted Perth Zoo not replacing Kifani with another Cheetah upon her death begrudgingly as I knew the Lion exhibit expansion was the plan (was rather hoping Servals would make a return there in replacement, the adjacent Oak Lawn would of been a good exhibit spot, though now flagged as part of Hunting Dogs revolving exhibits area..fair enough) but with the Hamadryas Baboons leaving Perth recently again I accepted and understood (and happy for that group of Ringtailed Lemurs in the exhibit now, and that Chad can be a father in Melbourne)..but I was rather hoping that Auckland would hold on as the last zoo in a city of over a million people in Australasia to still have an ongoing commitment to keeping Cheetahs. Thanks for reminding me about Canberra and Hamilton by the way, they do have good open range set ups respectively hey.

re: Hamadryas Baboons - am glad Melbourne, Adelaide and (western) Sydney still have them..but again wish Auckland would continue to keep them in the future.
      Swanson02 and Zoofan15 like this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Auckland Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Zoofan15
    Date:
    1 Jun 2023
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.6 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    3033px
    Height:
    2447px
    Aperture:
    f/2.4
    Make:
    Apple
    Model:
    iPad Air 2
    Date / Time:
    2023:05:31 13:29:50
    Exposure Time:
    1/121 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 25
    Focal Length:
    3.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).