Join our zoo community
gentle lemur

Cherrypicker in the wired orang exhibit

Monsoon Forest, Islands, Chester, 18th March 2017.

Cherrypicker in the wired orang exhibit
gentle lemur, 19 Mar 2017
leone likes this.
    • gentle lemur
      This looks rather like a ship in a bottle: how did they get it in there? But the little caterpillar tracks and the extending feet of the cherrypicker must make it so small and manoeuvrable that it can be driven through the entrance behind it. I am sure that this is part of the design of this enclosure. I don't know which specific tasks it is required for.
    • drill
      cherrypicker?
    • gentle lemur
      @drill That's what we call them over here :)
    • FunkyGibbon
      Also the nickname of the 11th Hussars cavalry regiment, thus, presumably, the confusion.
    • gentle lemur
      @FunkyGibbon Just so. The regiment was made famous by the notoriously stupid Lord Cardigan, who set a new standard of confusion at Balaclava by leading so many cavalrymen, from this regiment and others, to their deaths in the Charge of the Light Brigade.
    • FunkyGibbon
      @gentle lemur I first came across the regiment in the excellent but very un-pc series Flashman. The book about the Crimean war brings the incident to life quite vividly.

It's neat that this fits inside. I imagine it can also accommodate a small crane and digger.

@drill We are talking about the large shiny red thing in the middle of the picture.
    • gentle lemur
      @drill them = cherrypickers (aka cherry pickers)
      From the on-line OED,
      noun
      informal
      A hydraulic crane with a railed platform at the end for raising and lowering people, for instance to work on overhead cables.
      drill likes this.
    • drill
    • gentle lemur
      Lord Cardigan designed those 'cherry-coloured pants' for the regiment he commanded. So in one sense, he is the origin of the name. He came from the Brudenell family in Northamptonshire, although the title he inherited was Earl of Cardigan - I remember being quite impressed when, as a schoolboy, I read that several villages on his estates were largely populated by his illegitimate children. However he had no legitimate children, hence his remark after he ordered the Light Brigade to charge, 'Here goes the last of the Brudenells'.
      I guess that the actual name was invented by a member of a rival regiment or perhaps by a Grub Street hack (19th Century term for a journalist). They might have come from anywhere.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Chester Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    gentle lemur
    Date:
    19 Mar 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    267.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1000px
    Height:
    707px
    Aperture:
    f/6.3
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D300S
    Date / Time:
    2017:03:18 13:27:16
    Exposure Time:
    1/160 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    16 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).