Join our zoo community
Chimpangeek

Chimp exhibit

The only animals at the zoo that need a serious exhibit upgrade

Chimp exhibit
Chimpangeek, 18 Aug 2018
    • Chimpangeek
      i prefer open-air chimp exhibits rather than enclosed ones.
    • nczoofan
      @Chimpangeek

Given space concerns and safety concerns, often a covered exhibit is better. It allows the animals to be outdoors more without fears of escape, and gives the chimps much more area to climb/allows for more climbing features.

Anyways this exhibit is definitely subpar, yet their are plenty of great chimp exhibits that are not open air.
    • Chimpangeek
      @nczoofan that’s a good point. I just find them to be more depressing-looking... The New San Francisco Zoo Chimpanzee expansion will have both open air and covered areas
    • TheEthiopianWolf03
      @nczoofan
      True but the exhibit is a bit of an eyesore and I think if they were to somehow convert the old muntjac exhibit to an outdoor chimp exhibit and have a crossing similar to SF's that connects to the old exhibit and have a complete remodel of the said older exhibit, then maybe it would be better. But since the zoo is on a hillside I doubt that would happen...
    • ThylacineAlive
      This looks like a really good habitat to me. When it comes to arboreal primates, I will always take a good sized cage over an open air enclosure because it gives the animals so many more climbing opportunities. I mean look at where the chimp in this photo is sitting. If you made this open air think about how much less space the animals would have.

Closed in enclosures also don't have to be ugly and depressing-looking, look at Berlin Zoo:

Sumatran orangutan outdoors | ZooChat
      Sumatran orangutan enclosure | ZooChat
      Sumatran Orangutan | ZooChat

~Thylo
      StoppableSan likes this.
    • birdsandbats
      I agree with @ThylacineAlive here. This enclosure may not look the best, but it provides lots of climbing opportunities (at least, more than a traditional open-topped enclosure).
    • TheEthiopianWolf03
      @ThylacineAlive @birdsandbats
      Well I guess that's true but I would still like to see an upgrade even if it's going to be a topped exhibit. The orangutan exhibit looks fine but it looks a tad small (how many apes are in that exhibit?) but that could just be the camera angle or something.
    • ThylacineAlive
      @TheEthiopianWolf03 How many chimps are in this enclosure? If there's only two or three it looks perfectly adequate for that number of animals.

Berlin has two enclosures with 0.2 in one and 2.1 in the other.

~Thylo
    • TheEthiopianWolf03
      @ThylacineAlive There are about 7 chimps in that exhibit. It’s overcrowded and really needs an upgrade.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Oakland Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Chimpangeek
    Date:
    18 Aug 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.9 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    3264px
    Height:
    2448px
    Aperture:
    f/2.2
    Make:
    Apple
    Model:
    iPhone 5s
    Date / Time:
    2018:08:16 13:50:40
    Exposure Time:
    1/595 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 32
    Focal Length:
    4.15 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).