Join our zoo community
zoogiraffe

Chimpanzee enclosure

Chimpanzee enclosure
zoogiraffe, 28 Jun 2009
DelacoursLangur likes this.
    • snowleopard
      Has this brutally archaic cage been torn down? I've been uploading loads of photos of the award-winning primate exhibits at Seattle's Woodland Park Zoo, and so it is interesting to see the other end of the spectrum.
    • Toddy
      No, but it will be soon. Rostock Zoo will open a new house with adjacent outdoor exhibits for great apes within the next few years, and juding by their recent constructions it will be brilliant!
    • Maguari
      Having seen this house I can say I don't think I have ever seen a worse 3-species ape house (including Dudley's!). Will be glad when the new one is built because it's a real blot on an otherwise almost exclusively very good zoo.
    • zoogiraffe
      I agree that it makes Dudleys look great.
    • Maguari
      Just noticed it was your pic zg - means not only have I seen this house but I would have been within a hundred yards when the shot was taken! Bad, bad house.
    • sooty mangabey
      With the great apes now in the (excellent-looking) Darwineum for a couple of years, are these buildings still standing? If so, what is in there?
    • Bib Fortuna
      Yes, they do-they Keep now two female Goodfellow-Tree Kangoros in it.The first has arrived from Krefeld at the end of March the second came from Beauval Both are Born in 2012.

Both enclosures were completely remodeled for the new inhabitants, so they can Keep up to four animals in it.
    • Kifaru Bwana
      The net outcome for the tree kangaroos is a definite great plus! Thus proving an old - if inadequate enclosure for its erstwhile inhabitants can become a great addition in a rethink.

Secondly, for all vehement critics … there is one or two of these in any zoo. Insight comes with development and where a zoo does have listed buildings or otherwise quite often they are not so free to do as we please … That is zoo history for you!

Not to say, I am not happy the great apes have now far better enclosures. Just a little perspective.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Rostock
    Uploaded By:
    zoogiraffe
    Date:
    28 Jun 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    324.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/2.9
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix E510
    Date / Time:
    2007:09:03 11:08:41
    Exposure Time:
    10/600 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    4.7 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).