Join our zoo community
Parrotsandrew

Chimpanzees 4th June 1994

Chimpanzees 4th June 1994
Parrotsandrew, 24 Nov 2012
    • Brum
      I'm loving these photo's of Dudley, can't believe I've only just noticed them.
      These are some of my earliest memories of visiting the zoo, in particular I recall the 3 species in the Ape House. There were the chimps, orangs and a single(?) gorilla. Thank God the chimps wre moved and unfortunately the gorilla passed away but the poor orangs are still there! (Albeit with a lot more room, inside and out.)
    • Parrotsandrew
      Pleased you like the photos Brum - I was slightly disappointed they had not inspired any responses, so I was not going to post any more! When I get around to it I'll do some more now though. Was the Gorilla called "Bonzo"?
    • Brum
      I don't always check the new photo section but had some time to kill and stumbled upon these by chance. I'm always interested in old pictures of Dudley, especially ones from my earlier years. :) If you post them then I will look at them and probably even comment on them... ;)

As for the gorillas name, I'm not sure? Bonzo rings a bell but to be honest Pertinax is the man to answer any gorilla queries! :)
    • Parrotsandrew
      I'm guilty of having never checked the new photos section! I just look at my favourite places and maybe anywhere else that takes my fancy. Sometimes I see something to investigate on the headline (or whatever they should be called) photos. I think I should try to get into the habit of checking the new photos.
    • Brum
      I tend to do new posts and new comments first and then I'll check new photos if there isn't much in the other forums to keep me entertained for a while. Unfortunately this means I often miss big batches of juicy pictures going up until somebody comments on them.
    • Pertinax
      Dudley originally had a pair of Gorillas- Bukhama(Bonzo) & Ruki. The female Ruki died (she was actually going to be moved to Gordon Mill's' collection in Surrey) leaving Bukhama/Bonzo alone for the rest of his life. Many years later, he was going to be moved to Chessington to join their group, in order to end his lonely existence, but sadly he died before it could happen.

The two Chimps in this photo are (I think) male Pepe and female Cherry.
    • Nige

The chimps in the picture are Pepe and Bella, there was another female called Cherry. Bella and Cherry were moved to London zoo, and London's 8 females came to Dudley and all moved into the New enlcosure. I would imagine Bella and Cherry passed away years ago now.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Dudley Zoological Gardens
    Uploaded By:
    Parrotsandrew
    Date:
    24 Nov 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    243.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1197px
    Height:
    794px
    Make:
    HP
    Model:
    HP pst_p02b
    Date / Time:
    2012:11:24 19:25:12

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).