Join our zoo community
Blackduiker

CHINESE GIANT SALAMANDER

To the left. It looks like a rock, but its a salamander.

CHINESE GIANT SALAMANDER
Blackduiker, 8 Mar 2012
    • Blackduiker
      To the left. It looks like a rock, but its a salamander.
    • jusko88
      Thks blackduiker for posting a pic of this beautiful creature. Hopefully one day i will see it. Also I wondering how there exhibit is set up I'm hoping with a mini waterfall, trees , moss, mud and I'm hoping the water is flowing fast like in the natural environment. Thks again mateo
    • IanRRobinson
      Did it show signs of movement? :) London kept a Japanese Giant for many years, compared to which the Giant Pandas were on helium!! :rolleyes:
    • Arizona Docent
      I agree. Just like koalas, giant salamanders are zoo rarities that are hyped up as a great attraction but a real dud when you finally see them in person.
    • Kudu21
      Giant salamanders certainly aren't the most active of creatures, but I do recall seeing the Cincinnati Zoo's Chinese giants moving around on several occasions. That's more than I can say for Columbus' koalas and Memphis' giant pandas.
    • DavidBrown
      After watching people's reaction to it I will have to respectfully disagree with that, at least for the LA Zoo. Several people were heard saying "Whoa!" when they saw it and there was a constant flow of people in front of its tank that seemed interested in it.
    • IanRRobinson
      Presentation does make a difference. LAIR looks a very impressive building. London's specimen was in a tank at the end of a corridor in the Aquarium, with nothing to indicate its rarity.

I'm afraid that I still wonder how often the keepers walked past it before realising that it was dead...:rolleyes:
    • Blackduiker
      On future visits, I'll try getting better photos of this, and other species, in their new habitats.
    • Otter Lord
      Beautiful creature! I would be fascinated when seeing this animal.

How is its enclosure?
    • DavidBrown
      There are two tanks that are connected. Only one was occupied on opening day. The tanks are a good size and there are nooks and crannies for the animal to use if it is feeling shy.

There was a docent stationed next to it to show it to people and interpret it. I think that this greatly helped people appreciate it.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens
    Uploaded By:
    Blackduiker
    Date:
    8 Mar 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    230.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1060px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D5100
    Date / Time:
    2012:03:06 23:27:33
    Exposure Time:
    1/25 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 3200
    Focal Length:
    55 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).