Join our zoo community
Hix

Christmas Island Hawk-owl

September 2017

Christmas Island Hawk-owl
Hix, 3 Sep 2017
AWP, LaughingDove and Goura like this.
    • Chlidonias
      I may have asked this on a previous occasion, but are these common and are they easily-seen if a person were to be out at night?
    • Hix
      They are relatively common, based on calls. But they are by no means easily seen. This one was called in. The only other one I have seen (last year) was also called in.

Each September the only tour company on the island, in conjunction with CI Tourism, organises Bird 'N' Nature Week. This year there are 28 guests joining us on island, and five 'guides' - scientists studying the wildlife. The guests are split into four groups and each day they have a different guide, so everyone gets to do all the activities. We've been out banding tropicbird chicks and CI Goshawks, spotting Abbott's Booby nests, catching introduced Wolf Snakes and Flowerpot Snakes, feeding the orphaned Booby chicks and a few frigatebirds at the National Parks rehab facility, stumbled upon some Green Turtle hatchlings flapping their way down Dolly Beach, looked at a variety of crabs, seen the Blue-tailed Skinks and their breeding facility (the skink is now extinct in the wild), and done some general birdwatching and sightseeing. We did the Owl one night after dinner.

I've taken two weeks off work to help out the Tour operator, and my assistance involves participation. And taking photographs.

:p

Hix
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Christmas Island - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    Hix
    Date:
    3 Sep 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    149.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1024px
    Height:
    1002px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).