Join our zoo community
sooty mangabey

Climbing hippos, May 31st 2014

I rather liked the newly-done pygmy hippo enclosure - even the washing line. The male hippo was very frisky, climbing up on to the dividing tree in an apparent attempt to reach the female; whether he would have been capable of making the final part of the journey, I'm not sure.

Climbing hippos, May 31st 2014
sooty mangabey, 1 Jun 2014
felis silvestris likes this.
    • sooty mangabey
      I rather liked the newly-done pygmy hippo enclosure - even the washing line. The male hippo was very frisky, climbing up on to the dividing tree in an apparent attempt to reach the female; whether he would have been capable of making the final part of the journey, I\'m not sure.
    • Panthera1981
      Oh dear, looks like Thug's going to get himself in trouble if he's not careful! This could end badly.

Think the exhibit design team might have revisit this part of the enclosure-I didn't know Pygmy's were such good climbers!
    • DavidBrown
      It's the Amazing Spider-Hippo.
    • IanRRobinson
      Sooty, you are being deliberately provocative! :p

I must admit I had no idea that Thug would attempt to morph into a mountaineer at this advanced stage in his life....
    • Nanook
      I guess the tree truck is meant to be the dividing barrier ?
      They are surprising agile, I remember when the Pygmy Hippos were temporarily housed in the Rhino house at Marwell and they attempted to climb the heavy metal internal gates, actually getting all four feet off the ground in the process, unbelievable for such an animal until you see it.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZSL London Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    sooty mangabey
    Date:
    1 Jun 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count: