okapikpr

Clouded Leopard

Photo taken January 2006.

Clouded Leopard
okapikpr, 28 Mar 2008
    • okapikpr
      Photo taken January 2006.
    • dbyrd
      Nice job. I've shot this creature a few times. The Cathouse is great in Cincinnati, but it is difficult to shoot in.
    • Zebraduiker
      The cathouse is great in cincinnati ? Maybe for the visitors, but not for the animals.....
    • tigertiger
      I know there are many complaints about the Cincinnati Cat House but I thought it was great. Lots of species, easy for visitors and if you focus on the indoor (I've never been there in the summer--can't speak for the outdoors) exhibits individually...most of them are basic exhibits (yes, albeit some are small) and there's not any one exhibit where you feel desperately sorry for the 'poor' animal.
    • reduakari
      Ummm, well except ALL of them. Terrible exhibits of an amazing collection
    • snowleopard
      I agree with reduakari, as the Cincinnati Zoo's cat house has an unbelievable collection that is amongst the best of any zoo on the planet...but there is not one single decent enclosure amongst all of those wonderful cats! When I was there last summer I saw a snow leopard indoors (with zero outdoor access) in a cage that was the same size of a small bedroom. I saw a bobcat pacing nonstop in its crappy outdoor cage, and the list goes on and on. The zoo should either renovate or bulldoze the building.
    • tigertiger
      Obviously, I disagree but to each their own. I don't think there are any of them that are inhumane or terrible to that level and they're by no means superb exhibits but I don't think they completely merit the full level of disdain some have for them. I think especially on this forum a lot of us are more critical of exhibits that are mediocre because there are so many great exhibits out there.

In a lot of ways, it reminds me of a lot of older Reptile Houses with minimum painted walls and little added bonuses and not much more.

Perhaps with the Cat Canyon something will be improved for the Cat House.
    • Arizona Docent
      I believe they are going to bulldoze the building. Not sure if this has been brought up already on another forum, but they are building a state-of-the-art small cat breeding center on a private farm they own. They will move all cat house residents there and build a new big and small cat exhibit at the zoo. I haven't heard any timeline, but I'm sure it will be amazing. As a cat fanatic, I can't wait. They have the best cat collection, although not as many as a few years ago (no more jaguarundi, no more golden cat). I'm sure most of you know they already run a private cheetah breeding farm just outside the city.
    • Ituri
      You bring up an interesting question, neither Cincinatti nor ASDM keep jaguarundi any more, are there any left in US zoos at all?
    • mstickmanp
      I think the only place is the Exotic Feline Breeding Compound in Rosamond, California has them. But I don't think any zoos do.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden
    Uploaded By:
    okapikpr
    Date:
    28 Mar 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    369.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).