Join our zoo community
cypher

Clouded Leopards

Managed to get both of them in a single shot. Mingma is the one on the tree, Pavarti was watching him quite intently. Sorry about the glad, but those tilted windows are the worst.

Clouded Leopards
cypher, 22 Aug 2015
    • cypher
      Managed to get both of them in a single shot. Mingma is the one on the tree, Pavarti was watching him quite intently.

Sorry about the glad, but those tilted windows are the worst.
    • TZFan
      Good job getting both of them.

How do you tell the two apart?
    • cypher
      In terms of fur pattern, I have no clue. Mingma is clearly bigger if you happen to both of them at the same time. He kind of has a boarder face than Pavarti, but again, it's kinda hard if you don't see them at the same time.
    • Mr Wrinkly
      These differences have been covered before:
      Mingma is quite a bit larger and if you are familiar with them they don't have to be together.
      His fur has a yellowish look to it, while Pavarti is quite dark with no yellow.
      Mingma has a crook in the end of his tail.
      I think the neck markings are a little different but they won't hold still for pictures to compare! I have one but not the other.
    • cypher
      Yeah, I used to be familiar with them, but I haven't visited them in a couple months until yesterday. To be honest I hate the glass viewing in there. The glass makes it hard to get a nice crisp clean detailed shot, while the darkness of the exhibit adds on to that difficulty.

Don't get me wrong, I can get multiple picture, but I'd prefer them at a higher standard of quality to post them to my flickr page. I wish more animals at the zoo had outdoor exhibits or even better viewings, as in, not through glass or fencing.

But that's just me.
    • TZFan
      Hmm I would have thought with my obsessive need to memorize everything possible about our animals I would have remembered the differences had been discussed. Maybe I missed it or was intrigued by something else at the time.

Appreciate the tips.

I hate the glass and fences too. It can be a little annoying when taking photos... well for me for real photographers like the rest of you I'm sure it can be very frustrating. But reality is the zoo cannot afford to have everyone outside over a moat. I'm hoping that with future renos they are able to make sure at least the crowd favs get some unobstructed places to view the animals.
    • cypher
      Yeah, having all the animals across a moat is hopeful at best. But I'm hoping that the Orangutan they'll be building eventually will have one with a clear view of the animals. It's definitely more preferable.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    cypher
    Date:
    22 Aug 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    227.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1067px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D7100
    Date / Time:
    2015:08:21 08:31:59
    Exposure Time:
    1/160 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length:
    70 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).