Join our zoo community
littleRedPanda

Coati

Coati
    • Andrew Swales
      German Zoos are obviously still allowed to keep and breed invasive species,then - so much for the European 'Union'...
    • KevinB
      Either the Duisburg Zoo is breeding coatis (and Reeves' muntjacs, as I've seen on Facebook) illegally and the German authorities are turning a blind eye or not being as strict as the government is in other EU countries, or they must have some kind of permit to continue breeding these species, which the EU regulation does allow for under very strict conditions.

In any case, it is strange to see this, and I'm not a huge fan of invasive species for sure, but I also kind of like this as I was never a big fan of this EU regulation and its effect on zoos.
    • Andrew Swales
      @KevinB

...which the EU regulation does allow for under very strict conditions.

Not in the UK - there is a complete ban on the keeping of any entire animals, anywhere. They must be either neutered or euthanased.

I had heard that Germany has exempted its zoos altogether, and was not applying the Directive to them at all - that France hadn't got around to ratifying it yet - and that NL was using a much shorter list of spp so as not to cause 'problems'.

If this has any truth in this; then its hardly evidence of much 'union' - especially if the law is only actually being up-held by one member who is leaving...

Thank God for the EU - the bureaucrats are well worth everyones's taxes.
      KevinB likes this.
    • TeaLovingDave
      @Andrew Swales

Of course, the scope and severity of the directive was, I have been given to understand, very much pushed-for by DEFRA in particular.... so perhaps it is not surprising other countries are enforcing it less virulently than ours is!
      KevinB likes this.
    • Andrew Swales
      @TeaLovingDave

If, by scope and severity, you mean the spp covered, then this is only partly true. Certainly on the initial lists, the UK added White-nosed Coati to the Ring-tails listed in other EU countries, without any real opposition, it seems - (their argument being that UK authorities were too incompetent to be able to differentiate between them!) - but more recently the pressure to add other spp has come from Brussels and successful opposition has come from UK based representation.
    • Maguari
      @Andrew Swales "If this has any truth in this; then its hardly evidence of much 'union' - especially if the law is only actually being up-held by one member who is leaving..."

Without wishing to get involved in a Brexit discussion (I'm sure we've all had enough of those for a lifetime!), and as a Remain voter - one of the biggest problems with the UK in the EU, and I think probably one of the reasons so many in the UK have come to dislike it regardless of whether it is doing good (or not - it's certainly not flawless, as this case shows), has always been that the UK government (whatever its flavour of the moment) hasn't ever caught on to the fact that you do get to interpret these things through the filter of your own country and your own requirements, and you can often interpret rather freely if you want. Or, indeed, hold up implementation unofficially but indefinitely in some cases. The UK always seems to go straight for the most rigid and inflexible interpretation it can, for some reason.
      dublinlion likes this.
    • Andrew Swales
      @Maguari

Yes, indeed - I am not sure exactly at what point a thread needs to separate; but I absolutely agree with you. Centralist legislation passed in Brussels is almost designed to be diluted or cherry-picked, or delayed by National Governments, to their own countries benefit. The UK adopts such in its entirety, in a desire to do everything right and play by the rules, to its National detriment. This is unlikely to change as it is an entrenched National characteristic. Being a member of a club and playing by your version of the rules rather than using them in the way they were intended, will always result in a bum deal. Anyway, when Coatis are extinct in the UK, you'll always be able to pop over to the mainland to see one.. Lets just hope the list doesnt get too long...
      Maguari likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Duisburg
    Uploaded By:
    littleRedPanda
    Date:
    28 Sep 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    360.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1200px
    Height:
    800px
    Aperture:
    f/6.3
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D7000
    Date / Time:
    2019:09:18 15:45:27
    Exposure Time:
    1/200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    135 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).