Simon Hampel

Cockatiel enclosure, Sept 2011

Merrylands Central Gardens

Cockatiel enclosure, Sept 2011
Simon Hampel, 26 Sep 2011
    • Simon Hampel
    • Nick@Amsterdam
      Do you know by any chance whether these are domesticated or wild cockatiels?
    • Hix
      I would guess they are aviary bred.
    • Nick@Amsterdam
      I meant: are these birds 'pure' (the original wild species) or just common domesticated cockatiels (are there for example 'mutations' in this aviary? Birds with different colors than only the standard grey color)?
    • Hix
      I've never been here, but I can see in the photo above a whiteface, a cinnamon and a lutino, along with some wild morphs.

For some years now the cockatiel breeders in Australia have been lamenting the fact that you can't get purebred cockatiels anymore, they all carry at least one mutation.
    • DavidBrown
      Is it strictly illegal to go out and capture some individuals to bring unmutated stock back into the captive population? Aren't cockatiels considered agricultural pests in some places? Seems strange that if they are that capturing some (as opposed to destroying them) wouldn't be allowed...
    • Hix
      It is illegal to take anything native from the wild without the correct permits. There is however, a lot of people that do illegally take from the wild purely for profit.

Some years ago budgerigars were legally collected and marketed as "Bush Budgies", because the things in captivity today are much bigger than the wild form. Maybe they will do the same with cockatiels one day.
    • DavidBrown
      How difficult is it to see wild cockatiels? Do they occur in urban areas like Sydney and Melbourne as backyard birds?
    • Hix
      They certainly don't appear in Sydney (except as pet escapees), and I've never seen them in Melbourne or Brisbane. They are generally considered to be found west of the Great Dividing Range in more arid environments.
    • Simon Hampel
      Like Hix said, I've never seen them in Sydney - but I have seen them in the wild.

Drive through the grain-belt during harvest and you are quite likely to see some on the side of the road picking up grain spilt by trucks.

My field guide shows them covering most of mainland Australia, except the wetter coastal areas (ie not in Sydney and Melbourne).
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Uploaded By:
    Simon Hampel
    Date:
    26 Sep 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.1 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1067px
    Aperture:
    f/10.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 40D
    Date / Time:
    2011:09:04 13:15:02
    Exposure Time:
    1/200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length:
    24 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).