Join our zoo community
Arizona Docent

collared peccary with baby

September 11, 2020, condominiums in Tucson Mountains

collared peccary with baby
Arizona Docent, 21 Sep 2020
    • Arizona Docent
      I recently purchased a condominium in the Tucson Mountains. @UngulateNerd92 helped me with the move-in and while I was in the U-Haul truck he called me from the walkway saying come quickly. There was a herd of javelinas (the local name for collared peccaries) on a small lawn across from my building. As we watched them I noticed this tiny newborn. They went between buildings and we went around to see them and most of the adults went into a wash that borders the property. However a couple others including the baby went back into the condominium complex and I got this shot before they ran off.
    • birdsandbats
      How common are thee? Are they easy to see in the wild?
    • Terry Thomas
      Nice shot.
    • snowleopard
      @Arizona Docent You moved...wow! No more trains going past at 2:00 a.m.? :p (I know from personal experience of spending a night on @Arizona Docent 's couch back in 2015).
    • Arizona Docent
      @snowleopard Actually I will kind of miss the trains, but there were other issues with my (seemingly) dream downtown loft that forced me to sell. Thankfully I made a little money in the sale (my new condo was cheaper) and now I am near nature (and closer to Arizona Sonora Desert Museum).

@birdsandbats They are common but there is no place you can go to get a guaranteed sighting. It is more like if you live in Tucson long enough you will see them (I have even seen them at the airport). My new condo complex, though, is located on a wash and I have already seen them three times in a week and my neighbor says they are seen regularly. I have also seen coyotes and mule deer within a few blocks of my new home.
      snowleopard likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    United States - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    21 Sep 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    391.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    538px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D850
    Date / Time:
    2020:09:11 17:50:31
    Exposure Time:
    10/4000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 800
    Focal Length:
    200 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).