Join our zoo community
Yoshistar888

Collared Peccary

Collared Peccary
    • Zoofan15
      The last remnants of a formerly large regional population, descended from a single pair imported by Wellington Zoo from Canada in the 1970’s.
      Jambo and Yoshistar888 like this.
    • Yoshistar888
      @Zoofan15 Yep. They are probably next on the phase out list. Also they are a joy to watch constantly bumbling around.
      Zoofan15 likes this.
    • Jambo
      @Yoshistar888 Beautiful family group. All related. I believe the last time they breed them was about in 2011. Unfortunately, MZ has unfortunate luck with the species they hold, being species phased out in the Australasian region.
      Yoshistar888 likes this.
    • Zoofan15
      @Jambo @Yoshistar888 Melbourne Zoo last bred Collared peccary in November 2012. The twins were named Nina and Jabali.
    • WhistlingKite24
      For those wondering, the region has four (1.3) Collared Peccary left - mother Jave and her offspring Messi, Nina and Jabali. They used to have an old male, Prickles off-display but he seems to have since passed away.
    • Jambo
      @WhistlingKite24 thanks for the update. :) I also believe Prickles has died, as I haven’t seen him in ages. I’ll see how many I can count tomorrow. :cool:
    • Jambo
      @Zoofan15 what happened to Messi’s twin brother? And, where Prickles and Jave the breeding pair?
    • Zoofan15
      @Jambo Jave was the mother of Messi, Nina and Jabali. I believe Prickles was the sire. I didn't know Messi had a brother? I believe he was this male born 2007: Category: | Herald Sun When Nina and Jabali's birth was announced in 2012 - it mentioned they had a five year old brother.
    • Jambo
      @Zoofan15 I can recall an announcement of the birth of Peccary twins, one being named Messi, but it’s ages ago now, and I’m probably just thinking of Nina and Jabali.
    • Jambo
      Do you know how old Jave is?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Melbourne Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Yoshistar888
    Date:
    21 Mar 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    894.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1706px
    Height:
    1279px
    Date / Time:
    2018:10:26 11:02:11

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).