Join our zoo community
Vulpes

Collon Animal Sanctuary

Max came to Ireland as a cub with a circus. They sold him on to a father who brought him for his nine year old daughter as a 'pet'! When Max began to grow rapidly and consume more and more food, he was sold on again. Until a year old he was kept in a box measuring 4ft long by 3ft high, by 2ft wide. He was brought to the sanctuary in poor condition, and required veterinary treatment until he was 18 months old. Early on attempts were made to re-house him with both Dublin and Belfast Zoo's, but both declined to take him. Max passed away at the ripe old age of 16 in 2009 after a short illness! I believe this was the last lynx in Ireland!

Collon Animal Sanctuary
Vulpes, 9 Jan 2010
    • Vulpes
      Max came to Ireland as a cub with a circus. They sold him on to a man who brought him for his nine year old daughter as a 'pet'! When Max began to grow rapidly and consume more and more food, he was sold on again. Until a year old he was kept in a box measuring 4ft long by 3ft high, by 2ft wide.

He was brought to the sanctuary in poor condition, and required veterinary treatment until he was 18 months old. Early on attempts were made to re-house him with both Dublin and Belfast Zoo\'s, but both declined to take him.

Max passed away at the ripe old age of 16 in 2009 after a short illness! I believe this was the last lynx in Ireland!
    • Arizona Docent
      I see stupidity is not limited to the United States.
    • Vulpes
      Big cats used to be very commonly kept in Ireland and the UK, When the DWA came into the UK and Northern Ireland it restricted what was available to people in the republic as this is where the majority of the stock came from. there is still no DWA license in the republic of Ireland but there are no big cats in private hands now as far as I know.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Collon Animal Sanctuary
    Uploaded By:
    Vulpes
    Date:
    9 Jan 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    22 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    293px
    Height:
    209px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).