Join our zoo community
Toddy

Cologne Zoo - Saiga

The last saiga in Cologne Zoo, Germany. The saiga was one of the zoo’s absolute rarities. This is now a historic photo as the last saiga in Cologne died in October 2009, thereby ending the era of saigas outside of Russia. July 2009

Cologne Zoo - Saiga
Toddy, 12 Nov 2009
Newt, Green_mamba, Haliaeetus and 5 others like this.
    • Toddy
      The last saiga in Cologne Zoo, Germany. The saiga was one of the zoo’s absolute rarities. This is now a historic photo as the last saiga in Cologne died in October 2009, thereby ending the era of saigas outside of Russia.

July 2009
    • Maguari
      From a zoo enthusiast's point of view, very sad to see this animal go (and equally glad we didn't put Cologne off another year, as I'd have missed seeing this wonderful animal).

Does anyone know if the exhibit has been reused for anything? Was quite a nice little paddock.
    • Jakub
      AFAIK, this exhibit will house 1,2 Persian Gazelles from Hamburg and Nuremberg Zoo.
    • Maguari
      A very nice choice of replacement. Thanks Jakub!
      Haliaeetus likes this.
    • Blackduiker
      Blackduiker

Saigas have always fascinated me. I consider them an elite zoological species for any zoo outside of Russia.
      Haliaeetus likes this.
    • Swedish Zoo Fan
      I've seen it, and I thought it was a very interesting animal!
    • James27
      I'm so annoyed I never got to see him :(
    • Ituri
      I saw them back in the 90's in San Diego. Amazing animals.
    • Blackduiker
      Blackduiker

They were exhibited for a time at the Los Angeles Zoo some 25-30 years ago. That's probably the only time I've ever seen them.
    • Toddy
      Well, you should have hurried to Cologne this summer when me and Animal was there ;) I would still advice you to go since they have the last douc langurs and red howler monkeys in Europe and overall is a very good zoo.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Cologne Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Toddy
    Date:
    12 Nov 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    225.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    E-510
    Date / Time:
    2009:07:11 14:28:53
    Exposure Time:
    1/100 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    150 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).