Join our zoo community
Chlidonias

colossal squid model

At Portobello aquarium (aka Westpac Trust Aquarium), Dunedin. This life-size model was originally made for the Discovery/ Animal Planet series "Animal Face-off". It hangs above one of the aquarium's outside pools. Photo taken in December 2006

colossal squid model
Chlidonias, 5 Mar 2008
    • Chlidonias
      At Portobello aquarium (aka Westpac Trust Aquarium), Dunedin. This life-size model was originally made for the Discovery/ Animal Planet series "Animal Face-off". It hangs above one of the aquarium's outside pools. Photo taken in December 2006
      DavidBrown likes this.
    • DavidBrown
      Do you know what happened to this model once the aquarium closed? Is the aquarium closed permanently?

A googling indicates that the aquarium is going to be (or has been already) demolished.
      Aquarium to be demolished
    • Chlidonias
      no sorry I have no idea. The model was originally "loaned to the New Zealand Marine Studies Centre by Natural History New Zealand and Discovery Channel" (http://www.otago.ac.nz/marine-studies/resources/kid-games/otago062846.pdf).

The aquarium, as far as I know, remained in operation after closure to the public, at least for a period (it was a teaching aide for the University, only open to the public as an aside). I would imagine that once the building is (or has been) demolished then the model would go in storage.

There have been talks for quite a while since the earthquakes to build a new aquarium in the city centre (this aquarium was well outside Dunedin, on the peninsula) but I don't know how far along that idea is. If they do open a new one, the model may make a reappearance.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Portobello Aquarium
    Uploaded By:
    Chlidonias
    Date:
    5 Mar 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    194.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1064px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).