Join our zoo community
vogelcommando

Comb Jelly

Oct. 15 2016 Previously titled Jellyfish (context for ensuing discussion)

Comb Jelly
vogelcommando, 27 Sep 2017
Patrick87 likes this.
    • Kakapo
      WOW! This is not a jellyfish. It's a COMB JELLY! A siphonophore! One of the very wished animals for be seen in an aquarium for me. But they're very rarely kept in aquariums. You're really very lucky!
    • jayjds2
      @Kakapo the species is on the rise in America, actually. I’ve seen them mostly at minor aquariums or aquariums with specialized jelly exhibits.
    • vogelcommando
      Thank you Kakapo and jayjds2 for this additional information, didn't realize that the species was not a common species in captivity when I took the photo !
    • Kakapo
      @jayjds thanks for the info, in my only time in America (San Diego) I have been in two aquariums (SeaWorld and Birch), and none of them have comb jellies. In my own country and not far from my home city, Barcelona Aquarium kept the species Mnemiopsis leidyi, that I guess is the less rarely kept species of the group. However when I visited, the tank that formerly holded them was empty.
      jayjds2 likes this.
    • Luke da Zoo nerd
      Comb jellies are actually quite common in u.s. aquarium trade. I have seen them at 7 aquariums currently.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Rotterdam Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    vogelcommando
    Date:
    27 Sep 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    691.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    2117px
    Height:
    1525px
    Aperture:
    f/5.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 1100D
    Date / Time:
    2000:01:01 00:08:42
    Exposure Time:
    1/15 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 3200
    Focal Length:
    45 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).