Maguari

Common Hippo Underwater Viewing at Bioparc Valencia, 28/05/11

In the Kitum Cave area.

Common Hippo Underwater Viewing at Bioparc Valencia, 28/05/11
Maguari, 26 Jun 2011
    • Maguari
      In the Kitum Cave area.
    • reduakari
      Thank you for the comprehensive photo collection from a zoo I've been very curious about since it opened a few years ago. For the most part it looks like a pretty incredible place, with a great animal collection.

I have heard reports that attendance at the Bioparc is well below what was projected/hoped for. This would not surprise me given the world economy and decline in tourism. Was there any evidence of how the zoo has been impacted?
    • snowleopard
      Here is a 2009 quote from "America's Best Zoos" author Allen Nyhuis, and he has visited around 240 different zoos and aquariums: "On its eastern Mediterranean coast, in Spain's third-largest city, this was probably the most beautiful and natural zoo I’ve ever seen! This status is probably due to the fact that it was just built, using all of the latest technology, and in fact it only opened a year earlier, in 2008."
    • Maguari
      No worries! Touring an excellent zoo in a very pleasant city on the Mediterranean coast is, I can assure you, no hardship. :D

I'd agree with your 'for the most part' - and its adherence to the African theme slips only once (Sri Lankan Leopards).

For my general view of the zoo, I can do no better than quote myself (who I almost always agree with ;) ):

I've heard the same rumours. The main effect on the zoo seems to be that the planned South American and Asian areas have yet to appear - it's Africa all the way. It was busy the day we were there, but this was a Saturday in May.

I don't think it will ever be my favourite, but it's a very fine example of this style of zoo.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Bioparc Valencia
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    26 Jun 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    283.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/5.0
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S7000
    Date / Time:
    2011:05:28 12:07:17
    Exposure Time:
    10/500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    7.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).