Join our zoo community
Dhole dude

Como Harbour - Main Exhibit

Home to California Sea Lions, Harbour Seals, & Gray Seals. Taken 12/30/21

Como Harbour - Main Exhibit
    • snowleopard
      It amazes me that the new sea lion pool at Como Park Zoo cost more than $20 million, while the new sea lion exhibit at Yorkshire Wildlife Park (in the U.K.) cost only a fraction of that amount. Plus, it looks spectacular:

[​IMG]

photo courtesy of @littleRedPanda
    • DelacoursLangur
      Not to mention the fact that their previous one was far from the worst exhibit in the zoo.
    • Dhole dude
      @DelacoursLangur The Seal Island Exhibit was fine, but the amphitheater was absolutely tiny, and an eyesore for many of the visitors. While this exhibit is far from the worst, it definitely feels like a waste of money. It's a fairly average exhibit compared to others in the country, and the theming is subpar at best, and tacky at worst. This is definitely an upgrade from what used to be here, but doesn't exactly live up to the 20-million-dollar price tag.
    • StoppableSan
      @Dhole dude To be fair, $20 million also entails demolition, new infrastructure/galvanized pools for holding saltwater, new holding areas, etc. Hell, I'd say $20 million is pretty conservative.
      snowleopard likes this.
    • pachyderm pro
      I liked the exhibit when I visited over the summer, but it’s probably the most standard modern pinniped habitat you will ever find. Nothing creative about it and this setup has been done at countless other zoos. Como Park itself is a very back-to-the-basics kind of zoo and there really isn’t anything here you can’t see somewhere else.
    • StoppableSan
      @snowleopard I'm not sure if it's a freshwater or saltwater system (there is science that shows that sea lions benefit from saltwater rather than freshwater), but either way, while it looks impressive, I can't help but feel disappointed at the lack of underwater viewing at Yorkshire Wildlife Park. Maybe I'm spoiled by the sea lion habitats I've seen at National, Los Angeles, or even the WCS zoos.
      snowleopard likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Como Park Zoo and Conservatory
    Uploaded By:
    Dhole dude
    Date:
    31 Dec 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    2.5 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4032px
    Height:
    3024px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).