Join our zoo community
betsy

Construction at the zoo

I was told this is where the Chinese leopards wil be going. Between the klipspringer’s and the entrance to general services yard.

Construction at the zoo
betsy, 11 Mar 2011
    • betsy
      I was told this is where the Chinese leopards wil be going. Between the klipspringer’s and the entrance to general services yard.
    • reduakari
    • betsy
      No the meercats are still there further up on the right of this exhibit. This was an aviary that was part of the African Kopje exhibit. Does that make it clearer?
    • reduakari
      Yes thank you. Unfortunately it also makes it clearer than ever that zoogeography is completely out the window at SDZ now. The Kopje was the first (and best) of a string of good, thematically-consistent exhibits built at the zoo in the 80s/early 90s. Now it's a rock with funny antelopes on one side and leopards from half a world away next to them.
    • Ituri
      Interesting...the press release really made it sound like the North Chinese leopard would be in or near Panda Canyon.
    • betsy
      That is what I thought also. I asked three different employees and they all said the same thing but I don't have any insider information. I will take pictures when they are finished and we will see.
    • Ituri
      Yes, but this is one of the only North Chinese leopards in the US, and if I recall correctly this individual is up there in years. He will inevitably be replaced with some other sort of leopard (African leopards do actually frequent kopjes). Now granted, this may end up being Amur leopard due to the Felid TAG recommendations that other leopard subsp. be phased out, so really, what's the harm in letting the subspecies in the most need of our care represent the whole of its species?
    • reduakari
      Well, at least it won't house Pallas Cats.....and your point is well taken. I just hope they put a little more effort into this than the ill-conceived cat exhibits up the road in Elephant Odyssey.
    • betsy
      As a self confessed member of the "general public" I am amazed at the depth of knowledge and opinions on this site. Thank you all so much for sharing. I am learning so much.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    San Diego Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    betsy
    Date:
    11 Mar 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    402.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    COOLPIX P100
    Date / Time:
    2011:03:10 10:54:37
    Exposure Time:
    10/2100 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 160
    Focal Length:
    4.6 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).